News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2015, 02:29:17 AM
Great, everyday now my computer flashes up to let me know I should switch to 10.
wait 3 more months.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Considering that Garbon's computer failed an update to Windows 8.1 before. Don't ever update it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Working fine for me.  I did manually update all of my stuff to Win 10 drivers if they were available, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 03, 2015, 10:09:48 AM
Considering that Garbon's computer failed an update to Windows 8.1 before. Don't ever update it.

Right? That's what I'm thinking. That or when I am having a very boring week and want to take another run at 8.1...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I know it's Slate, but this article nevertheless seems to be a good summary on how to set your system privacy to something more akin to Win7 or 8:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2015, 05:07:01 AM
I know it's Slate, but this article nevertheless seems to be a good summary on how to set your system privacy to something more akin to Win7 or 8:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

Use a Local Account

The drawback is you can't install any apps from the store unless you logged in (but you can access pre-installed apps) and you can't access Onedrive.  Otherwise, it seems a good move to do.

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2015, 05:07:01 AM

A couple more things to click to off then. I was naïve to think simply doing a custom setup and clicking most of it to off would suffice. :rolleyes:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Darth Wagtaros

I updated my work laptop. 
PDH!

Grey Fox

My Windows 10 system detected automatically my Xbox 360. Now I can right click any movie/music files and choose Cast to device & it'll play on the 360. Neat feature.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

katmai

My upgrade is available!! :o
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Mine has been for a couple of days, but I think I'll let the release bake for a few more months.

Though I consider getting a new machine at the end of the year, anyways, so it might be moot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

I pulled the trigger and most all seems okay,except some deleted old game files from an old version of windows. needs have to re download swtor game client.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Darth Wagtaros

I had to re-install all my programs.  ALL OF THE PROGRAMS.
PDH!