Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 31, 2015, 12:47:58 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2015, 10:42:08 AM
:hmm:

You are on your own, my copy still hasn't showed up.

Yeah that's weird.  My wife's copy hasn't showed up either.  The little program still just says "Thanks For Reserving Your Copy!" or whatever.  Or at least it did this morning before I left.

Have you checked your Windows Update? Mine showed an upgrade failure so I had to do this to restart it:

Quote1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. (If you're unable to complete this step, look at "edit 5" down below)
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

Worked perfectly after this.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Agelastus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 31, 2015, 12:47:58 PM

Yeah that's weird.  My wife's copy hasn't showed up either.  The little program still just says "Thanks For Reserving Your Copy!" or whatever.  Or at least it did this morning before I left.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/2/8883325/windows-10-will-roll-out-in-waves

Windows 10 comes out on July 29th, but you might have to wait until later to get it. Microsoft said today that it would be rolling out Windows 10 in waves, "slowly scaling up" the rollout as it sees how things are going. The intention seems to be playing it safe and making sure that Windows 10 is getting a good response and running smoothly across the millions of different systems out there. Microsoft may even issue updates to Windows 10 between its July 29th release date and the time that some early adopters are actually able to download it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2015, 12:56:48 PM

you can download the ISO and install it once you've reserved your copy.  I'm not touching this for now.

Just went to the computer shop, he told me it was a loose cable inside.  The HTPC worked fine there.  Come back here, can't start it anymore.
1 long beep, 3 short.
It's either a video card problem (wich is integrated on the Intel CPU) or a ram problem.

In my experience, behavior that erratic is almost always a RAM problem.  Are all your RAM sticks the same or did you do them in pairs?

Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Liep on July 31, 2015, 01:09:09 PM
Have you checked your Windows Update? Mine showed an upgrade failure so I had to do this to restart it:

Quote1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. (If you're unable to complete this step, look at "edit 5" down below)
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

Worked perfectly after this.

Eh.  I don't know what she has tried. Her laptop didn't have the upgrade available last night either, now that I think of it.  Those machines are probably just scheduled to get it in a later group. 

I didn't have to do anything with mine.  Just clicked the little windows logo in the tray and it was ready to go.  Installed it, ran Windows update and updated the AMD GFX drivers, and it seems to be good to go.  I still haven't tried any games with it though. 

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 31, 2015, 01:13:35 PM

you can download the ISO and install it once you've reserved your copy.  I'm not touching this for now.

Just went to the computer shop, he told me it was a loose cable inside.  The HTPC worked fine there.  Come back here, can't start it anymore.
1 long beep, 3 short.
It's either a video card problem (wich is integrated on the Intel CPU) or a ram problem.

In my experience, behavior that erratic is almost always a RAM problem.  Are all your RAM sticks the same or did you do them in pairs?

1 single 8gb ram stick.  the tech is here, he seems baffled.  I'm not touching hardware.  Besides, I can't even get a finger inside that small case.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 31, 2015, 01:13:35 PM

1 long beep, 3 short.

looks like we have a winner :)
defective DRAM module, as it looks so far.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2015, 01:43:39 PM

Not surprising.  As a tech, RAM was a nightmare for me, since when it malfunctions, things go so erratically that it's impossible to pin down on symptoms alone.  Eventually, I learned to just check the RAM sticks first, even if I didn't think it was a RAM problem, because it can do such weird things that it looks like other problems, like for example, a GPU failure.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 31, 2015, 01:51:42 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2015, 01:43:39 PM

Not surprising.  As a tech, RAM was a nightmare for me, since when it malfunctions, things go so erratically that it's impossible to pin down on symptoms alone.  Eventually, I learned to just check the RAM sticks first, even if I didn't think it was a RAM problem, because it can do such weird things that it looks like other problems, like for example, a GPU failure.
I should have told the tech to change the ram module when I went to the shop.  I thought about it, but then it was working...

I didn't experience RAM problems in years, ever since I stopped buying cheap ram.  But for this kit, I went with the absolute lowest cost.  Next time, G.skill ram :)

Caliga

I got tired of waiting so I force installed it.  Upgrade running now.... meanwhile it's Miller time in the hot tub  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Upgrade went perfectly. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on July 30, 2015, 06:12:25 AM
I'll do everything in my power to stop my computer from upgrading itself to Windows 10.

viper37

Josephus

When I get around to installing this, will it delete everything on my computer (game save files, documents, etc?)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

Quote from: Josephus on August 01, 2015, 09:24:28 AM
When I get around to installing this, will it delete everything on my computer (game save files, documents, etc?)

All your files will still be there; it doesn't overwrite them.

-----------

I do seem to have a problem though - my Laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 no longer shuts down properly. The screen goes off and most of the noise dies, but the power light stays on and I can hear what I think is one of the fans. If I press down the power button to forcibly shut it down at this point when I reboot it doesn't say anything about an improper shutdown having occurred.

Quick research suggests it "might" relate to the boot order in the BIOS which I don't particularly want to tamper with. I shall have to research this some more... :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."