News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Relax Mono, installing Windows 10 is not automatic. Even if you register for the upgrade, you can still choose when to install.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 01, 2015, 07:50:02 PM
I assume you have a laptop, I asking if you were updating without being plugged in into the wall.

Nope, I have a desktop.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I have a Win8 laptop aside my big rig. I may test drive Win10 on that one first (though it never properly updated to Win8.1).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Monoriu on June 02, 2015, 01:08:45 AM
I am very worried.  I am using Windows 7 now.  Will it automatically install Windows 10?  If so, I need to find a way to prevent it before it happens.  Any ideas for the computer illiterate?

Yes it will, YOUR WORLD WILL BURN
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

You have to actually do something to install Win 10, Mono. Relax.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on June 01, 2015, 07:31:19 AM
I believe the offer is good for up to one year after release of Win10? I will hold off for a few months (though by that time I might have a new PC, anyways).

That means you get it for free for a year after Win10 is released, and after that point you gotta start paying for it, right?

I'll probably stick with 8.1 for now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2015, 09:06:30 AM
I believe the offer is good for up to one year after release of Win10? I will hold off for a few months (though by that time I might have a new PC, anyways).

That means you get it for free for a year after Win10 is released, and after that point you gotta start paying for it, right?

From what I understand: you can claim your free copy for a year, but once you do you'll keep it for free forever.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on June 02, 2015, 09:14:13 AM

From what I understand: you can claim your free copy for a year, but once you do you'll keep it for free forever.

... on that machine. But yeah, completely free if you pick it up within one year after release.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Hmm.  So my laptop will be in good shape.  My desktop, not so much.  The copy of Windows 7 on it isn't exactly genuine (:blush:); it was a last-ditch effort to not blow $150+ when I was having driver problems with Ubuntu (which then turned out to be a faulty motherboard).
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: Liep on June 02, 2015, 09:14:13 AM

No.  At some point, they will charge you a fixed price per year to receive updates. they haven't specified how long you can keep Windows 10 for free.  It will always work, it will simply not be updated.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

The day Windows 10+1 comes out. Microsoft doesn't want to continue supporting multiple version of the OS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

QuoteFeature deprecation section

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the "Microsoft Solitaire Collection" and "Microsoft Minesweeper."

If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

No more gaming for Mono. :(

Josquius

QuoteWatching DVDs requires separate playback software
Well that sucks. Back to windows xp it almost seems. That was a rather nice logical addition by 7.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Just use VLC or CCCP, its what everyone does anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on June 12, 2015, 12:28:43 AM
QuoteWatching DVDs requires separate playback software
Well that sucks. Back to windows xp it almost seems. That was a rather nice logical addition by 7.
VLC
Media Player Classic (part of K-Lite codec pack)
SMplayer
and countless others that reads DVDs, Blu-Ray and videos.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.