News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Tyr, it depends on a couple of things.  If it's a laptop, absolutely upgrade- the power management in Windows 10 is miles better than that of Windows 8.  It also cuts the boot time significantly (I suspect Windows 10 loads services and processes the way I have WinPatrol set on my Win7 box- pushes the non-kernel processes to a 30-second delayed start queue- why Microsoft hasn't made this an out-of-the-box feature is beyond me).

If it's a desktop, personal preference.  On one hand, the UI is much easier to use than Windows 8, since it uses a Start menu again (on a laptop, it can be switched between that and "tablet mode", where it's a full-page Start screen).  On the other, it's heavily reliant on DirectX 12, which is still very, very buggy- so I might not recommend it yet for a gaming rig.
Experience bij!

Barrister

So I downloaded Win 10 last night.  Had no experience with Win 8 before.

It's... okay.  I don't really like the flat look that's taken over both OS X and Windows, but that's well out of my hands.

One thing I didn't care for - when you hit the Start button, there are all these... tiles?  Thing is many of the tiles are for software I don't have and that MS apparently wants me to download or buy.  Any way for me to remove these, since this is mostly just a dedicated web surfing / gaming machine?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on September 22, 2015, 03:16:40 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 21, 2015, 03:16:35 PM
So...how many people have upgraded?
I am curious but...I've been hearing quite a lot of bad stuff. My download finally worked so I am able to upgrade if I want :ph34r:

Upgrade. The only difference I've really noticed is how much faster 10 is.

This sounds tempting to me... vs 7 or 8?

I've got a desktop. Currently on 7, never really tried 8 beyond playing around with a computer or two in shops.
As I say I'm curious to try windows 10 but I don't want to muff up my only personal machine. All my stuff is on there.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2015, 10:08:19 AM
So I downloaded Win 10 last night.  Had no experience with Win 8 before.

It's... okay.  I don't really like the flat look that's taken over both OS X and Windows, but that's well out of my hands.

One thing I didn't care for - when you hit the Start button, there are all these... tiles?  Thing is many of the tiles are for software I don't have and that MS apparently wants me to download or buy.  Any way for me to remove these, since this is mostly just a dedicated web surfing / gaming machine?
right click on the tile, there should an option to uninstall the software or simply remove the icon.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

I switched to Windows 10!

Everything seems norbal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

So, this weekend may be the one I may have time to do this. Should I?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

Yeah, Win 10 is great.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Alcibiades

Switched over this week, no issues.  Also looks pretty nice comparatively.  Will take a bit to get used to the UI, though.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

viper37

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2015, 09:57:45 AM
So, this weekend may be the one I may have time to do this. Should I?
yeah, you ain't losing anything :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

QuoteMicrosoft to users: You'll download Windows 10, and you'll like it

Starting next year, Windows 10 will automatically download itself onto some computers

Oct 29, 2015 3:31 PM

Microsoft really wants people to get on the Windows 10 bandwagon, so much so that the company plans to start automatically downloading its new operating system to some users' computers next year.

In a new blog post, Microsoft Executive Vice President Terry Myerson said the company plans to push Windows 10 as a recommended update through Windows Update sometime next year, after rolling it out through the service as an optional update "soon." That means those PC users who have applied Microsoft's suggested update settings will automatically download the update when the company makes the switch. 

That's an aggressive move from Microsoft, especially given the outcry earlier this month after the company did the same thing accidentally. Users who've gotten the download will still be able to opt out before it's installed on the device, and they can roll back the upgrade for as long as 31 days after making the switch to the new OS, so that's some consolation. 

It's a particularly raw deal for people who are on metered Internet connections. Windows 8.1 users aren't in danger there, because that OS won't automatically download updates over a metered connection. But Windows 7 users will have to turn off automatic downloads of all recommended updates in order to avoid downloading multiple gigabytes worth of operating system.

All this is part of Microsoft's move to make Windows 10 more easily available. Starting today, people who reserve a copy of the new operating system will have it immediately downloaded to their devices rather than having to wait as they did in the OS's early days. 

Microsoft has said that it expects 1 billion devices to be running Windows 10 in three years, and it seems that this is a part of that strategy. What remains to be seen is how well users will take having an update they don't necessarily want pushed at them more aggressively. 

We are dead.  I need to figure out a way to stop the computer from auto-updating this  :ph34r:

The Brain

Once I updated my first computer my other computers stopped telling me to update. What's the deal?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

You can force the update:
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/

If you have an error code after the download, you need to edit a registry key.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade
- Create a DWORD (32bit) value "AllowOSUpgrade" and set it to 1.
- Exit control panel, restart windows update and it will work.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 31, 2015, 06:33:24 PM

We are dead.  I need to figure out a way to stop the computer from auto-updating this  :ph34r:
there is no way to stop progress.  It will consume you, it will devour your soul.  You must submit to your new masters now.

lustindarkness

I'm downloading it right now,  if my laptop craps out on me,  I'll blame languish.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Well, it has not blown up in my face yet.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom