FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on corruption charges

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2015, 11:58:42 AM
I bet John Oliver is wishing now that he waited a week before promising to patronize all the FIFA sponsors if Blatter is gone.

Not really - rather he is certainly proud of the fact that his show forced Blatter to resign... :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Norgy

Jews can't kick a ball.
Unless there's a "Palestine" sticker on it.

The Minsky Moment

I'll believe it when the conference is convened.
Right now, it's almost a year off.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2015, 01:45:41 PM

I'll believe it when meaningful reforms are enacted.

Right now Blatter is just one more fall guy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2015, 01:47:47 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2015, 01:45:41 PM

I'll believe it when meaningful reforms are enacted.

Right now Blatter is just one more fall guy.

Who's pulling the strings then?  :ph34r:

Admiral Yi

Yeah.  Don't see how the big enchilada can be a fall guy.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2015, 02:15:07 PM

He could easily be replaced by someone else just as corrupt.  Reforming the organization so that it isn't so easily corruptible is important beyond just changing the people in charge.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on June 02, 2015, 02:17:21 PM
He could easily be replaced by someone else just as corrupt.  Reforming the organization so that it isn't so easily corruptible is important beyond just changing the people in charge.

I don't see how this relates to the question of Blatter being a a fall guy.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2015, 02:15:07 PM

He's a fall guy for the organization/system as a whole.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Warspite

QuoteThe size of the Executive Committee must be reduced and its members should be elected
through the FIFA Congress.

This would achieve two things: kick the Brits off the ExCom and have it directly elected by 207 football associations, most of whom are under the patronage of the corrupt FIFA core.

Neither of which I see as addressing the problem, which is the system of patronage itself, created by the way each FA has equal voting rights but many of which are dependent on FIFA largesse to survive.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Minsky Moment

It's probable there is some very damaging info on Blatter that he expects to come out soon and this is his way of getting out in front on damage control.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2015, 02:25:11 PM
It's probable there is some very damaging info on Blatter that he expects to come out soon and this is his way of getting out in front on damage control.

My guess is he was offered a deal.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: Warspite on June 02, 2015, 02:24:57 PM
QuoteThe size of the Executive Committee must be reduced and its members should be elected
through the FIFA Congress.

This would achieve two things: kick the Brits off the ExCom and have it directly elected by 207 football associations, most of whom are under the patronage of the corrupt FIFA core.

Neither of which I see as addressing the problem, which is the system of patronage itself, created by the way each FA has equal voting rights but many of which are dependent on FIFA largesse to survive.

Exactly my thoughts.
"Reforms". My big butt.