News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

BB King passed away

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2015, 03:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Eddie Teach

I guess that makes 3. Percy Sledge last month, Ben E King a couple weeks ago and now BB King.

RIP.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

The best show I saw was BB and Buddy Guy together. Even better than the time I was watching BB and Eric Clapton crashed the show. Although that was pretty cool also.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

The potato ruined using the hashtag for comedic effect.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

This does strengthen your statements that his family is crazy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

How unoriginal.  At least come up with your own flaky music star family conspiracy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2015, 10:08:05 PM
How unoriginal.  At least come up with your own flaky music star family conspiracy.

I have one.  He is was actually Swedish, born of two factory workers building Ball Bearings for the Nazis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on May 15, 2015, 08:09:16 AM
After listening to about 6 or 7 of his songs, I have come to the conclusion that I do not appreciate his music.

That's because you have heathen taste in music.  That statement would be like me (as a guitarist) saying I don't appreciate Robert Johnson.

Even if you don't personally enjoy the songs, you have to appreciate how tremendous an influence B. B. King's work has been on blues, rock, and even jazz guitarists.

I also enjoy that he's one of a select few 20th-century musicians who really had a mythos built up around him, like the story about how all of his guitars came to be named Lucille.  For those that haven't heard it, he was playing a hall early in his career that caught fire accidentally when two guys were fighting over a girl named Lucille.  B. B. King got out, realized his guitar was still inside, and ran in and got it- seeing the damage, he swore he'd never fight over a woman, and called his guitars Lucille as a reminder.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 25, 2015, 10:44:29 PM
That's because you have heathen taste in music.  That statement would be like me (as a guitarist) saying I don't appreciate Robert Johnson.

It's Mono. He doesn't like polka because it's too "rockish".  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?