News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP John Forbes Nash Jr.

Started by Caliga, May 24, 2015, 08:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Killed in a car accident on the New Jersey Turnpike along with his wife yesterday. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

And yet Russell Crowe still lives.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Another senseless tragedy.  Why do people think that being in a back seat of a taxi means you don't need to wear seatbelts?

Grinning_Colossus

Sometimes they're buried really deep between the seats. I only spend 15 minutes digging them out because I grew up with seatbelts and feel naked without them.

RIP Nash  :(
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Rex Francorum

R.I.P. (I had no idea who he was however).  :blush:
To rent

Norgy

Rest in peace, you amazing mind.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 24, 2015, 11:46:31 AM
Another senseless tragedy.  Why do people think that being in a back seat of a taxi means you don't need to wear seatbelts?

That is what it seems at first, but I think to really assess the matter we need to set up a payoff matrix. There is the most likely case where the taxi is not in a serious accident but putting a seatbelt on may require some effort and digging into crevasses of a less than sanitary nature.

The likelihood of a serious accident is limited to the point it might be considered a black swan event. Even then, while wearing a seatbelt will reduce the chance of death, there is a chance of death in either case, and at least without a seatbelt you may be thrown from the taxi. Who wants to die in a New Jersey taxi? (although to be fair, who wants to die in New Jersey, and it is unlikely you will be thown into another state).

In the end, the decision to wear a seatbelt involves a series of value judgments that will be unique to each player.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

Just for the sheer thrill of being a buzzkill dick Dorsey, that's not game theory.  You're just doing a cost/benefit.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2015, 08:10:55 PM
Just for the sheer thrill of being a buzzkill dick Dorsey, that's not game theory.  You're just doing a cost/benefit.

At first I was going to keep going into the decision making process of whether to wear a seatbelt with your spouse sitting next to you (do we both wear the seatbelt, do we die together?) based on the value judgments--of which at least one party was older and had previous suicidal tendencies, which would get into game theory, but it was too complicated and the whole thing was stupid anyway.

The only winning move was not to play.  :(

jimmy olsen

Maybe one Korean in a hundred wears a seatbelt in a backseat, maybe half wear it up front if I'm being generous. A lot of times the belts in the back simply don't work.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017