The ACLU Wants the U.S. Government to Combat Sexism in Hollywood

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2015, 06:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2015, 11:45:26 AM
I think that Aussies will take exception to Mad Max being appropiated as American culture in that article.

Yeah, that kinda ruined the whole bogus argument; if you are going to RAEG you can't say things so clearly full of shit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2015, 01:42:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2015, 01:40:22 PM
Sexist. They should be talking about Hypatia vs. Sapho to qualify.

That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

Oops I called Frederick an Emperor. Maria Theresa is going to haunt me now.

Congratulations, that's called "travailler pour le roi de Prusse" in French. Literally. Working without getting any benefit, or getting a worse deal.

Quote. Voltaire, devant ce conflit (la guerre de succession d'Autriche) qui lui semble vain et contraire aux intérêts français, exprime son énervement par une expression devenue proverbiale : « travailler pour le roi de Prusse » ; c'est-à-dire « œuvrer sans en retirer le moindre bénéfice » ou encore « travailler contre soi-même, contre ses propres intérêts ».

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerre_de_Succession_d%27Autriche

DontSayBanana

Ugh.  Since last time I checked, quotas don't pass constitutional muster, what's left is incentivizing hiring female directors/disincentivizing hiring male directors.  To hit an entire industry, that's going to take a shit-ton of money that we don't have to spend.
Experience bij!

celedhring

I believe that raising the issue is a good thing in itself; it doesn't need to end up in quotas to exact change from the industry.

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2015, 01:46:30 PM
I think that Aussies will take exception to Mad Max being appropiated as American culture in that article.

Yeah, that kinda ruined the whole bogus argument; if you are going to RAEG you can't say things so clearly full of shit.

That and keeping to blame Hollywood left and right when they're talking about a movie directed and written by an Australian, produced by Australian companies, that stars a Brit and a South African in the main roles.

I mean, seriously, Mad Max is the most Australian thing there is in cinema, besides Crocodile Dundee.

Valmy

Bear in mind this guy thought the 'Order 1886' not being up to his standards meant Mad Max was going to fail. Seeing things in the proper context is not his thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2015, 01:54:19 PM

That and keeping to blame Hollywood left and right when they're talking about a movie directed and written by an Australian, produced by Australian companies, that stars a Brit and a South African in the main roles.

I mean, seriously, Mad Max is the most Australian thing there is in cinema, besides Crocodile Dundee.

Yep, that's why the first had to dubbed in American English for the US market. Dub track can still be found on current video releases.

celedhring

Yahoo Serious movies.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 13, 2015, 02:01:22 PM

Yahoo Serious movies.

What about Baz Luhrman? Or Babe?  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Babe is Australian??

Did they redub the animals for the American market?

I always thought it was an American film set in Imaginary Quaint Rural Country.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2015, 02:10:46 PM
Babe is Australian??

Did they redub the animals for the American market?

I always thought it was an American film set in Imaginary Quaint Rural Country.

Australian film (shot in Australia) based on a British children novel.

Ed Anger

Ugh. Return of Kings is the male equivalent of Jezebel.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2015, 12:47:10 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 13, 2015, 12:40:27 PM
I didn't know merithyn had so many vacations. They can be put to good use then. AD AVGUSTA PER ANGVSTA :)

I didn't know merithyn had so many Latin mistakes that it was worth keeping track of. :unsure: Especially since I've never claimed to know Latin.

Not worth stricto sensu but funny, given the specific word and the context.
You didn't know indeed, yet you invented a latin plural ;) Mistake spread though, so it's no longer your privilege (checked!). :( Prima inter pares, if you will. :) :hug:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on May 13, 2015, 02:17:16 PM
When I was a kid, this Australian film creeped me out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Wave

One of Peter Weir's most famous Australian movies along with Picnic at Hanging Rock and Gallipoli (Mel Gibson again!). Special mention goes to The Cars that ate Paris.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cars_That_Ate_Paris.