The ACLU Wants the U.S. Government to Combat Sexism in Hollywood

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2015, 06:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2015, 01:23:19 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2015, 01:22:49 PM
I think it's pretty well known that girls are bad at Latin.  You guys stop giving Meri shit about it FFS.

Et tu, Brute? :weep:

Hey, I was standing up for you-- despite the fact that you're a Cubs fan :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 13, 2015, 01:49:12 PM
Congratulations, that's called "travailler pour le roi de Prusse" in French. Literally. Working without getting any benefit, or getting a worse deal.

I've used that one (in English) around the workplace a few times.  Finally a couple weeks ago someone recognized it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Wait Meri is a Cub's fan? Why would you do that to yourself? You are from Iowa you could have made better choices.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on May 13, 2015, 02:17:16 PM
When I was a kid, this Australian film creeped me out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Wave

I use that movie in my Culture in Conflict class.  It's great (and, as you note, creepy).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2015, 02:21:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2015, 02:10:46 PM
Babe is Australian??

Did they redub the animals for the American market?

I always thought it was an American film set in Imaginary Quaint Rural Country.

Australian film (shot in Australia) based on a British children novel.

Co-written and produced by Dr. George Miller, to boot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2015, 08:17:26 AM
I find this a mind blowing stat.

QuoteIn 2012, less than 29% of speaking roles in movies were portrayed by women. That's down from just under 33% in 2010.

Makes more sense when you consider how many movies are about cops, criminals, and soldiers.

Anyway, I don't think this is because Hollywood's being sexist on purpose. They're just giving the people what they want. Society is sexist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2015, 02:06:04 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 13, 2015, 02:01:22 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2015, 01:54:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2015, 01:46:30 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 13, 2015, 11:45:26 AM
I think that Aussies will take exception to Mad Max being appropiated as American culture in that article.

Yeah, that kinda ruined the whole bogus argument; if you are going to RAEG you can't say things so clearly full of shit.

That and keeping to blame Hollywood left and right when they're talking about a movie directed and written by an Australian, produced by Australian companies, that stars a Brit and a South African in the main roles.

I mean, seriously, Mad Max is the most Australian thing there is in cinema, besides Crocodile Dundee.

Yahoo Serious movies.

What about Baz Luhrman? Or Babe?  :hmm:

I liked Cheech Marin's "The Shrimp on the Barbie".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 13, 2015, 07:32:25 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2015, 08:17:26 AM
I find this a mind blowing stat.

QuoteIn 2012, less than 29% of speaking roles in movies were portrayed by women. That's down from just under 33% in 2010.

Makes more sense when you consider how many movies are about cops, criminals, and soldiers.

Anyway, I don't think this is because Hollywood's being sexist on purpose. They're just giving the people what they want. Society is sexist.
:yes:

While society affects media, society is never affected media.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Tom Hardy does disappear from the trailers, but it seems to me he wasn't replaced with women, but rather fire, explosions, racing cars and disfigured psychopaths.

As to the main point, I couldn't care less about the empowerment and portrayal of women in film.  I have problems of my own.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2015, 01:41:50 AM
:yes:

While society affects media, society is never affected media.

Well when it is pandering media like Hollywood that tries to make films bland enough to be popular in as many countries as possible one shouldn't be too surprised they are a lagging, rather than a leading, indicator.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."