The ACLU Wants the U.S. Government to Combat Sexism in Hollywood

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2015, 06:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Two of the other actresses of the film are the daughter of Lenny Kravitz and the grand-daughter of Elvis.  :lol:  :elvis:

merithyn

You guys are losing sight of the problem here! Quit looking at all those boobies and start gnashing your teeth that you're not seeing more glistening, muscular male chests! Your place in the world order demands it! :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2015, 01:11:45 PM
You guys are losing sight of the problem here! Quit looking at all those boobies and start gnashing your teeth that you're not seeing more glistening, muscular male chests! Your place in the world order demands it! :contract:

No need: I have my copy of 300 here for just such an emergency.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Been there, done already

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/the-ruthless-guide-to-80s-action/

QuoteThe Ruthless Guide to 80s Action

Big sweaty men! Big noisy guns! Dozens of people getting beaten and slaughtered–per scene! Entire cities razed to the ground! Liberal wimps beware as simple handguns become judge, jury and executioner!

And the only repercussion is that the Stupid Chief takes your badge and gun for the weekend...

Get the book.

It is guaranteed to make you

a goddamn sexual

tyrannosaurus.

Valmy

The worst part is they make us think we are going to see glistening macho man chests and trick us into showing up to see the movie and it is nothing but boobies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

I think it's pretty well known that girls are bad at Latin.  You guys stop giving Meri shit about it FFS.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2015, 01:17:03 PM

The worst part is they make us think we are going to see glistening macho man chests and trick us into showing up to see the movie and it is nothing but boobies.

More cause to call in the ACLU? :unsure:

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2015, 01:22:49 PM
I think it's pretty well known that girls are bad at Latin.  You guys stop giving Meri shit about it FFS.

Et tu, Brute? :weep:

crazy canuck

:lol:

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2015, 01:22:49 PM

Livia was always mis-conjugating the Subjunctive. It is what really killed Augustus.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2015, 09:37:41 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2015, 09:06:19 AM
Speaking of which, does the last GoT episode's conversation between Sansa and Myranda pass the Bechdel test?

Edit: and also, could someone explain to me that in order for a scene to pass the Bechdel test, the characters must not talk about men during the entire scene or that they may talk about various topics, one of these at least must be not men-related.

I think the test is based on the whole film - so obviously two female characters can talk about a man, but it can't be that all their interactions involve talking about them. Sex and the City would basically be a fail in every minute...:D

No, I realise that. But is the scene "tainted" if it involves a conversation about a man even if they also talk about different things in that scene? :P

Valmy

Does it count if they are talking about a subject involving men? Like if they are comparing the economic policies of Frederick the Great with Louis XIV? Platonism vs. Aristotelianism?

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2015, 01:38:49 PM
Does it count if they are talking about a subject involving men? Like if they are comparing the economic policies of Emperor Frederick the Great with Louis XIV? Platonism vs. Aristotelianism?

Sexist. They should be talking about Hypatia vs. Sapho to qualify.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2015, 01:40:22 PM
Sexist. They should be talking about Hypatia vs. Sapho to qualify.

That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

Oops I called Frederick an Emperor. Maria Theresa is going to haunt me now.