News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 4

Started by Syt, May 11, 2015, 07:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on November 15, 2015, 06:36:05 PM
Had my first CTD just now inside Fenway PaHHHHk.  Actually it was a crash to reboot, not desktop. :yuk:

WICKED PISSAH
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on November 16, 2015, 02:56:11 PM
I bought FO4 on the weekend, and have found the quests so far to basically be "Go to [...] and kill everyone". Is there any more depth to it than this? I miss the way you could try to talk your way through large parts of FO1 and 2.

All of the Bethesda fallouts have been more shooty than talky, though FONV had a fair number of quests that were more talky than shooty, because Obsidian.

Early quests on the Minuteman quest line are almost exclusively shooty, but that's to be expected of such a quest line.  I'm hoping that later, when the PC has built up more ability and maybe the MM have a better reputation, there will be some "convince these people to join us' rather than "go do what they say so they will join us."  It makes sense that talking doesn't do much early on, when the MM have such a poor rep.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've kinda warmed to the new leveling system.  It makes more sense the one from Fallout 3.  Game is still buggy though.  I had a quest in a flooded quarry, but a real difficult time doing it because "near graphics" had not swapped with the "distant graphics" and I kept walking through the ground.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2015, 12:42:59 PM
Nah the rails in a Bioware game are blatantly obvious. You never have to try and fail until you stumble across them.

I think the only RPG I have seen with more blatantly obvious rails than a Bioware game was Final Fantasy XIII.

FunkMonk

I'm having a great time with the game so far. It does feel a little like Fallout 3.5, rather than the complete revolution they made to the series with Fallout 3, but it is still a fine game. Bethesda's patching and the modding community should turn this thing into something great, too.

It does feel a lot more shooty than the previous two games, but that doesn't bother me because the shooting feels a lot better for me than in 3 or NV. Also, I feel like the main quest is more on the rails than previous games in the series. I've had the most fun just wandering around and exploring new locations. The settlement mechanic is cool too, but it feels like a tacked on addition that wasn't fully fleshed out in time for release.

Overall I like it a lot and will be playing this over Witcher 3 for the foreseeable future.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Yeah, I haven't done much of the main quest.  I just like wandering around abandoned homes looking for screws and duct tape.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 17, 2015, 01:53:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2015, 12:42:59 PM
Nah the rails in a Bioware game are blatantly obvious. You never have to try and fail until you stumble across them.

I think the only RPG I have seen with more blatantly obvious rails than a Bioware game was Final Fantasy XIII.

At least you get to feel like you are making important decisions. Decisions that usually end up not mattering but it does give you a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 17, 2015, 03:05:16 PM
I'm having a great time with the game so far. It does feel a little like Fallout 3.5, rather than the complete revolution they made to the series with Fallout 3, but it is still a fine game. Bethesda's patching and the modding community should turn this thing into something great, too.

It does feel a lot more shooty than the previous two games, but that doesn't bother me because the shooting feels a lot better for me than in 3 or NV. Also, I feel like the main quest is more on the rails than previous games in the series. I've had the most fun just wandering around and exploring new locations. The settlement mechanic is cool too, but it feels like a tacked on addition that wasn't fully fleshed out in time for release.

Overall I like it a lot and will be playing this over Witcher 3 for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, the shooting is a lot better IMO.  So much so that I almost never use VATS in this game.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 17, 2015, 07:29:58 PM
Yeah, the shooting is a lot better IMO.  So much so that I almost never use VATS in this game.

NPC tactics are a lot better in this game.  Enemies use cover and movement pretty well, and even do cover fire for each other.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Dogmeat on the other hand is not very helpful.  He keeps falling off buildings or through bridges.  He also doesn't get the concept of, "This is a bad place, ghouls are coming out of the woodwork", or "we should avoid that bear".

grumbler

Now that I've played more than a few hours, the game is starting to grow on me.  I like the tactical aspects of the game a lot, and, now that I've started to figure out how to fight specific enemies, combat is more rewarding.  I've even offed a couple of legendary NPCs and their loot drops make it worth the hassle.

Still can't win against deathclaws and sentry bots, but I'll figure them out eventually.

BTW, the robots are so much better looking in this game.  I like these designs a lot.  The cars, too, are well-done.  Lots of variety and the different designs make sense if you encounter fairly-intact versions of each one.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on November 17, 2015, 09:37:47 PM
NPC tactics are a lot better in this game.  Enemies use cover and movement pretty well, and even do cover fire for each other.
Yeah, I was in a fairly lengthy gun battle with a raider in the Corvega plant who was using cover very effectively.  It was impressive and very fun.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 08:31:30 PM
Now that I've played more than a few hours, the game is starting to grow on me.  I like the tactical aspects of the game a lot, and, now that I've started to figure out how to fight specific enemies, combat is more rewarding.  I've even offed a couple of legendary NPCs and their loot drops make it worth the hassle.

Still can't win against deathclaws and sentry bots, but I'll figure them out eventually.

BTW, the robots are so much better looking in this game.  I like these designs a lot.  The cars, too, are well-done.  Lots of variety and the different designs make sense if you encounter fairly-intact versions of each one.

I tried against a deathtrap at 17th level in close quarters, no dice. Absolutely viscious. I would normally attack at range, but the encounter doesn't allow it. One hit and done. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

MadImmortalMan

:P

The building looks like a cool feature. I wonder why everything I've seen is all scaffolding and sheet metal like a Mumbai slum. I mean, post-apocalyptic Boston would probably have plenty of bricks lying around you could build with.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers