News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 4

Started by Syt, May 11, 2015, 07:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Oh, and I just finished taking down all the riders in Libertaria, the town of wrecked ships.  It was a lot of fun.  accounting for the rolling of the ships in the waves is an interesting new wrinkle, especially when sniping.

It tok me a couple of tries, though.  There's an asshole with a Fat Man who doesn't mind nuking the whole city to nail the Sole Survivor.

Too many raiders have power armor, I've found.  Power armor may be the thing that fucks up this game at higher levels.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Piper looks a lot like your default wife.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2015, 08:27:17 PM

Probably not a coincidence.

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on November 28, 2015, 05:54:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2015, 08:27:17 PM

Probably not a coincidence.

I made her wear my wife's outfit and bake cookies.   That's when I noticed the resemblance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Okay, so I've played this for a bit, now, and, while I like it, there are two things that really bug me in terms of the interface on the PC:
(1) when you set the activate key to the space bar (like it is in most game, and like it was in the early Bethesda games before they made the space bar "jump" for some reason), the "add" key remains "e" and cannot be changed.  This is unlike any of their other games and they need to fix it so that, when adding from containers, the game uses the activate key and not have it be hard-coded to 'e"
(2) the game really does not know where the curser is.  Often, the region activated by the curser is 180 degrees from where the curser is pointed.  To harvest crops, for instance, one sometimes has to stand with one's back to the crop to get the curser to activate.  This wouldn't be so bad if the companion didn't try to crawl up one's asshole every time one stops, so that, for instance, when one is trying to activate a container one activates the companion instead, or when one is trying to aim and the curser turns into the dialogue square.

The quests are quite good, replayability is very high, and the game is pretty intuitive in spite of there not being much hand-holding (I've had to look up how to do a few things, but that's typical even for hand-holding games).  I just need those interface bugs fixed, because they are driving me crazy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on November 28, 2015, 10:40:00 PMbefore they made the space bar "jump" for some reason

I'm guessing that it's conforming to standards - 90+% of first person games these days have space as jump (and shift as sprint, control for crouch). Doesn't mean that you souldn't be able to properly rebind the functions of the key.

And I think at least Skyrim and FO3 also already had jump = space.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I really find the dialog annoying.  The way they set up the choices.  I pick the choice of "You are one of them", but I don't know what the hell my idiot avatar will say as a result.  Is it "You are one of them, what's that like"? or "you are one of them, you know how they think", or "You are one of them, how did you get here".  Instead he goes with "you are one of them, you are in on it!".

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2015, 01:05:00 AM
I'm guessing that it's conforming to standards - 90+% of first person games these days have space as jump (and shift as sprint, control for crouch). Doesn't mean that you souldn't be able to properly rebind the functions of the key.

Jumping is a lot more important in some games.  I don't mind Bethesda following the trend (they started space = jump with Oblivion; I was too used to Morrowind to change, so rekeyed that game and every one since) so long as it can be changed.

QuoteAnd I think at least Skyrim and FO3 also already had jump = space.

They did, but if you rebound that key to "activate," it activated everything.  You didn't have separate keys for taking something from a container and taking something from the world.

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

I think the patch that is currently in beta fixes that, g.  I'll have to find where I saw the patch notes, but I'll edit them in when I do.

E:  Here we go: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_patch_1.2.33_Beta

QuoteNew Features
Number pad keys can now be used for remapping
Remapping Activate now works on Quick Container
Fixes
General memory and stability improvements
Fixed issue where equipped weapons become locked after completing Reunions
Fixed issue with When Freedom Calls where the quest would not complete
During Confidence Man, fixed issue where player's health would continuously regenerate
Fixed crash related to jumping into water and reloading saved games
Fixed issue where Launcher would not save God Rays Quality setting properly

Solmyr

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2015, 08:46:49 PM
I really find the dialog annoying.  The way they set up the choices.  I pick the choice of "You are one of them", but I don't know what the hell my idiot avatar will say as a result.  Is it "You are one of them, what's that like"? or "you are one of them, you know how they think", or "You are one of them, how did you get here".  Instead he goes with "you are one of them, you are in on it!".

Get this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 29, 2015, 11:41:58 PM
I think the patch that is currently in beta fixes that, g.  I'll have to find where I saw the patch notes, but I'll edit them in when I do.

E:  Here we go: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_patch_1.2.33_Beta

QuoteNew Features
Number pad keys can now be used for remapping
Remapping Activate now works on Quick Container
Fixes
General memory and stability improvements
Fixed issue where equipped weapons become locked after completing Reunions
Fixed issue with When Freedom Calls where the quest would not complete
During Confidence Man, fixed issue where player's health would continuously regenerate
Fixed crash related to jumping into water and reloading saved games
Fixed issue where Launcher would not save God Rays Quality setting properly

Great.  Now they just have to fix the curser/pointing issue and I'll be down to "nice to have" suggestions.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I ran across this totally by accident, but it's not just the best FO4 review I've seen, it's one of the best reviews I've seen, period.  A real hoot, but totally honest, IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aorKjw71ckQ

Bayraktar!

Syt

Angry Joe does some decent reviews, and I'm glad he seems to have picked up pace again (he was a bit slow on them for a few months). Star Wars Battlefront was also pretty on point. And the one on Aliens: Colonial Marines was appropriately scathing. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Some of those "video essay" guys do a fairly good job.  There has long been a market for video game reviews that aren't dependent on game company buying ad space from the reviewer.

Syt

A big advantage is that even a fifteen minute video can offer more content (word-wise) than your average 3,000 words or less written review, plus showcase its points by showing the relevant gameplay bits.
—Stephen Jay Gould