News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Berkut, May 08, 2015, 01:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

bad teams in this game is much worse than in world of tanks. it's really make or break. kind of makes me miss world of warplanes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadBurgerMaker

How you doing with that carrier, HVC?  I just got into a Bogue and....it's.....meh.  The gameplay is interesting, but the ship seems less flexible than the Langley.  Wasted some XP on the carrier wing upgrades when it seems like the stock one with fighters and torpedo bombers is the best one. 

I haven't been able to sink anything even against bots yet, regardless of the wing setup I use.  Maxed out at only 25,000ish damage.  I haven't gotten the hang of manual drops, so I'm only hitting with a couple of torps at a time if I'm lucky.

HVC

too many moving parts for me. I played a few times in co-op so not as to mess around with people real games, but I just couldn't get into the swing of it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

MadBurgerMaker

I'm looking at it like an RTS that has almost everything automated.  Like the newer HoIs when you let the AI play most everything for you, except some of the players are worse than the HoI AI.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 01, 2017, 11:20:15 PM
As mentioned, this game doesn't always reflect real life.

Dunkerque is a BB in the game, so matchmaking will put you with other BBs, and sometimes the match is really really light on CA/CLs and DDs.  Engaging BBs with it involves essentially charging at the head on-ish ("angling":  this apparently makes you have super armor where 12" shells can bounce off of you lolz) and basically doing a drive by (this is when the turrets can't track), then moving on to the next target while the rear guns set them on fire, etc.  They can burn a Tirpitz pretty well, but you can't really get too close to those because they have torpedoes. Scharnhorst too, although the AP can penetrate those from further off. 

You have succeeded in convincing me that this game would drive me crazy.  Capital ships moving so fast that another capital ship's turrets can't track?  That happened like, never.  Battleship turret rotation speeds were on the order of 5 degrees per second, and the ship could easily turn if that's not fast enough.  To have a bearing rate better than 5 degrees/sec at 30 knots, you'd have to be closer than 180 yards!  That just never happened.  Even against the ultra-slow Yamato turrets (2 deg/sec) you'd have to be inside 500 yards, which you'll never survive long enough to get to.

I understand why they might want to make the game more fun by leaving out real-world factors, but you have to at least make a nod to math and physics, or these might as well be alien spaceships or unicorns.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

THere is plenty in the game that would drive you nuts, but I don't think they BB guns not tracking would be one of them.

There is some close range brawling between BBs, even the occasional ram, for that matter, but the issue with turret rotation speed is generally one of "I was shooting over here, and now I want to shoot over there...LIKE RIGHT NOW, but it is going to take a while to get my turrets to turn into a crossing target....".

Other than trying to track a close range DD, I don't recall turret rotation being much of an issue for a BB once they actually get them onto target, no matter how fast that target is moving. The turret speed on the Dunkurque is 36 seconds to turn 180 degrees, so that is...exactly 5 degrees per second. 

The game is a lot of fun, and I suspect you would like the naval theme of it, but it would certainly drive you nuts if you thought a lot about it as a simulation.

It is, I am sure, even worse than World of Tanks in being not at all a simulation, just because of the nature of the theme.

But it is free to play, hence basically free to try out. Nothing really to lose but time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on January 02, 2017, 06:07:54 AM
bad teams in this game is much worse than in world of tanks. it's really make or break. kind of makes me miss world of warplanes.

It's all clockwise lemmings. 

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2017, 01:36:14 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 02, 2017, 06:07:54 AM

It's all clockwise lemmings. 

I mean it can still be fun, be when it starts going south there's no turning back.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on January 02, 2017, 09:22:22 AM
To have a bearing rate better than 5 degrees/sec at 30 knots, you'd have to be closer than 180 yards!  That just never happened.

It happened to two unfortunate BBs who didn't seem to know wtf was going on yesterday.  :P

Like Berk said, once you get to that point the Dunkerque's guns can't track either (and I've definitely seen enemies trying to keep up with me and being unable to, even when they've been shooting at me.  You'll still have to take the shots from the rear turrets that you're right in front of, but they seem to miss a lot...maybe zoomed all the way in?), but it doesn't matter since they should be in the process of reloading because you just sent all 8 rounds straight into the other guy and now it's all up to the secondary batteries.  Sometimes I screw up and don't hit them right and do almost no damage, sometimes I fuck them up real bad.   Either way, I just keep on going (if I'm still alive and haven't attracted the attention of every enemy ship in the area, which happens a lot heh).

E:  Speaking of which, I saved the results of that one because I had some questions:

How does the credit payout get calculated in these?  Do you get paid more for sinking bigger ships (and premium?)?  I've taken down twice as many ships and did more damage in a Caledon and about the same in Tirpitz, but got significantly less cash than here where it was just two BBs (a Fuso and Arizona, IIRC). That's the most I've gotten in a match for any ship, but it's not the highest number of hits, ships sunk, damage....anything.  Not the most XP either. 

E2:  Oh and for g, check out the punishment the Dunkerque can absorb in this game if you point it in the right direction (from a different match where I survived with like 400hp left but we lost anyway):

Facing the wrong way though?  lol 2 - 3 AP hits can blow it up, so that's a little more realistic I guess.

HVC

I wish you could individually arm your guns so that you had a mix of AP and HE

HVC

Enjoy your war chest berk :P

Berkut

You get the Texas?? Nice!

0 rows returned

HVC

yeah, testing it out now. the 80k free xp is nice too. so got a Bayern, a Texan, and a tier 6 us cruiser whose name I forgot.

HVC

also, the 60s torpedo load on the Nicholas seems excessive for a DD

Berkut

MBM, there is a credit payout tab that gives more details about credit payment, but you get a very significant boost for having a premium account, and another boost for having premium ships - I think they get something like a 25% increase in gross credits, which results in a even greater net increase.

Further, I think premium ships get a discount on their per game "repair" cost as well.

So in general, premium ships make quite a bit more credits than regular ships. I have a T8 premium, the Atago, and I typically net in the 300k per game with it, and sometimes even more for a really good game.

0 rows returned