And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Berkut, May 08, 2015, 01:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2017, 12:31:33 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 09, 2017, 10:37:48 PM
Speaking of which, good lord people whine a lot in random.  Ultra serious bidness there.  Everyone is much more relaxed in pve.

The only time you worry about a World of Lemmings player is when he stops bitching.

Surprisingly, the guy I hit to get the TK status bitched considerably less than what I've seen in chat over way less (some minor random shit between players seems to get all crazy sometimes). I absolutely wrecked that guy and all I got was a "Really?"   :lol: 

E:  They need to turn off these Santa Boxes.  I'm addicted, and when I'm at this remote/boring location for work like I was on Monday and am today, I start thinking about being a dumb shit and spending money on a free game.  Got 3 more of the $3 ones: 2x Anshan (one turned into a bunch of doubloons) and 90 more days of premium.  The extra 10 point captain went into my reserve, where....he's worthless.  Unless there are other Chinese ships?

Berkut

Maybe someday...? Yeah, that does seem pretty worthless.

I hear you on the boxes. Fucking things are like crack.

They've really figured out how to make "free to play" into a cash machine. They know just the little triggers to hit in the human brain...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Berkut

I've heard good things about those...I am still on the Leander.

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

It's pretty nice.  I used some santa doubloons for the perma camo.  I now have a light cruiser with jungle camo.

E:  :lol:  Dropped down to the lower tiers because PVP is more fun there, and the Ishizuchi can really kick some ass.  Got vaporized by one in my Tenryu and remembered I had one too:

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on January 06, 2017, 09:32:44 AM
I was wondering why that was the case - I don't much care for the purposes of the game, as the ranges and firing rate and hit rate are all absracted enough that the naval theme is plenty enough for me. And in fact, it is certainly a better *game*, since it creates a lot more incentive to maneuver, rather than just form line of battle and blast away.

But I did wonder why it was the case that you would NOT want to present as small and angled a target as possible in naval warfare. Giving the other side a clean shot at the largest possible apparent target seems like a bad idea. But that makes a lot more sense. The very reason the belt is so heavily armored is SO you can in fact give them that shot, which is better than the alternative of presenting the more weakly armored head or tail of the belt, and the "length" of the ship to hit (which would also make it a lot easier to smash up the relatively unarmored superstructure)

I assume you cannot armor the ends simply because they, by definition, need to have all kinds of things passing through them - passageways, shafts, etc., etc?
It's important to note that your broadside is actually your smaller target at any kind of range.  It's not all that difficult to determine an appropriate lead on a target.  The tricky part is always the range, especially when the range is changing and even the rate at which the range is changing is changing.  If you'r firing at a battleship broadside at 20 km, you're going to get the right angle almost immediately, but elevation-wise you're trying to find the range of a space about 150 feet wide, give or take.  If he's pointing right towards you the target you're aiming for is closer to 1000 feet.  Your odds of dropping a shell onto that space are much higher. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

So if you had to choose.....Belfast or Scharnhorst?

Berkut

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Done. 

I only have 700 santa doubloons after that, but hey...Scharnhorst definitely looks good in the port.

E:  Yeah thats some good times. Good call, Berk.

MadBurgerMaker

New combat missions are up for some blinged up Myoko that isn't Japanese.  20k base XP in US, German, Japanese, and Russian tier V+ ships.  Ends Feb 20. 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/here-comes-the-rooster/

Worth the bother?

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2016, 02:59:10 PM
Yeah, "Premium" just means that you can't level into it;  it can only be purchased or awarded under special circumstances.  It's just not an available element of the tech tree to the pheasants.

Remember, these are Russian-produced games.  Their definition of "Premium" is different than ours.  OPULENCE I HAS IT

Actually, in English, "premium" was originally a noun meaning "an extra amount paid".  The adjective "premium" hence showed that a particular item had an extra cost associated with it.  So a "premium beer" was a beer that wasn't produced in a particular market, which you had to pay extra for to cover the shipping costs.  When domestic beer production started back up with the repeal of Prohibition, the big breweries launched marketing campaigns to convince the public that "premium" actually meant "of higher quality".

So, history lesson concluded, I'm thinking about accepting Berkut's invite and getting into the game, but I'm one of those who would get quickly annoyed by the arcade aspects of the game and would prefer something with more simulation value.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on January 21, 2017, 10:18:52 PM
Actually, in English, "premium" was originally a noun meaning "an extra amount paid".  The adjective "premium" hence showed that a particular item had an extra cost associated with it.  So a "premium beer" was a beer that wasn't produced in a particular market, which you had to pay extra for to cover the shipping costs.  When domestic beer production started back up with the repeal of Prohibition, the big breweries launched marketing campaigns to convince the public that "premium" actually meant "of higher quality".

Big fucking deal.  That's originally based on the English for "big fucking deal."

QuoteI'm one of those who would get quickly annoyed by the arcade aspects of the game and would prefer something with more simulation value.

Then definitely stay away.  It's the kind of game you play with one eye on the TV.

MadBurgerMaker

Hey do the elite silver ships (when you research all the things) allow for free captain transfer like the premiums?

Berkut

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Huh.  I don't really see the point of them in that case.  :hmm: