Couple found guilty of having sex on Florida beach

Started by DGuller, May 05, 2015, 08:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 01:23:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2015, 12:57:00 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2015, 12:47:37 PM
Because children.

As an aside, I never really understood the hysteria over children maybe witnessing sex.

I know from my own kid that kids prior to puberty typically find sex just gross, have no interest in it - when he's watching a TV show or movie at home and there is any "kissy stuff" as he calls it, he covers his eyes and makes retching noises until it stops. I don't think he's ever seen more than kissing, but I would imagine his reaction would be exactly the same.

What exact harm is witnessing sex supposed to do to them?

So it's nothing to worry about at all, then?

It's gross and offensive - like taking a shit in public - something neither I, nor my kid for that matter, wants to see. It should be treated the same way - with a fine to discourage people from doing it.

15 years in jail is just nuts, though.

And no, not something I'd really "worry" about. What exactly would happen to the kid seeing sex?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

They're not getting 15 years for public humping.  He's getting 15 for committing 2 felonies within 3 years.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2015, 02:00:22 PM
Having sex is like taking a shit?

Well, not the way I do it - your experience may vary. I'm not judgmental. :P

The point I was making was that it was offensive in a similar manner - doing something in public that, by public standards of decorum, ought to be done in private.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 01:43:01 PM
Disagree.  I'm actually pretty easy-going with how I raise my kids, but I don't think it's healthy for them to be exposed to this sort of thing.  "Kissy stuff" on TV is easier for them to filter out than two people right in front of them going at it on the beach in broad daylight.  Which btw is a public decency offense. 

If all you hippies think it's perfectly fine for young children to watch two adults have sex in public, fine.  I just happen to disagree with you.  I'll tell my kids about the birds & the bees when I think they're mature enough to handle it.  I'd rather not have the conversation forced at an earlier time.

All that said, the sentence is harsh.  A misdemeanor with a fine/community service or whatever would be appropriate IMO.

That's all fine, and your right to do as you see best.

My point is that I can't see any actual "harm" done to children by seeing public sex, such as would justify a harsh sentence.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2015, 01:49:35 PM
Disagree.  I'm actually pretty easy-going with how I raise my kids, but I don't think it's healthy for them to be exposed to this sort of thing.  "Kissy stuff" on TV is easier for them to filter out than two people right in front of them going at it on the beach in broad daylight.  Which btw is a public decency offense. 

If all you hippies think it's perfectly fine for young children to watch two adults have sex in public, fine.  I just happen to disagree with you.  I'll tell my kids about the birds & the bees when I think they're mature enough to handle it.  I'd rather not have the conversation forced at an earlier time.

All that said, the sentence is harsh.  A misdemeanor with a fine/community service or whatever would be appropriate IMO.

I'm sure there will be 5 pages upcoming parsing your statement.

Oh yeah.  The thought crossed my mind right after I hit "post".  But this crowd is also sort of contrarian, so since you posted this they may not do it.  Yi should be able to come up with some odds.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

WTF are you even talk about? Since when do I spend time parsing out posts?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 02:09:44 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

I'm sure there will be 5 pages upcoming parsing your statement.

Oh yeah.  The thought crossed my mind right after I hit "post".  But this crowd is also sort of contrarian, so since you posted this they may not do it.  Yi should be able to come up with some odds.

and nicknames. Fucker is Dennis Miller with a yellowish tinge.

Ed Anger

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
WTF are you even talk about? Since when do I spend time parsing out posts?

He may not have been specifically referring to you.

Malthus

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2015, 09:52:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2015, 09:01:26 AM
I hope the sex was worth it.

Would you say the same thing to the gay teenagers hanged in Iran few years ago? Because that would make you as douchebaggy.

No, I wouldn't. But then that isn't really the same as having sex in public*.

*Not that I oppose it but you gotta have some class about it. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 05, 2015, 01:00:05 PM
This is what happens when we hand political power over to the old people, instead of executing them en masse as I have been advising all along. :)

Exactly. Once a person reaches 30 years of age, they should be culled.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!