Started by DGuller, May 05, 2015, 08:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2015, 12:57:00 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2015, 12:47:37 PM
Because children.

As an aside, I never really understood the hysteria over children maybe witnessing sex.

I know from my own kid that kids prior to puberty typically find sex just gross, have no interest in it - when he's watching a TV show or movie at home and there is any "kissy stuff" as he calls it, he covers his eyes and makes retching noises until it stops. I don't think he's ever seen more than kissing, but I would imagine his reaction would be exactly the same.

What exact harm is witnessing sex supposed to do to them?

So it's nothing to worry about at all, then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Solmyr

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 01:23:22 PM
Because children.

As an aside, I never really understood the hysteria over children maybe witnessing sex.

I know from my own kid that kids prior to puberty typically find sex just gross, have no interest in it - when he's watching a TV show or movie at home and there is any "kissy stuff" as he calls it, he covers his eyes and makes retching noises until it stops. I don't think he's ever seen more than kissing, but I would imagine his reaction would be exactly the same.

It's not.

The Brain

Because children.

Why would it be?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Disagree.  I'm actually pretty easy-going with how I raise my kids, but I don't think it's healthy for them to be exposed to this sort of thing.  "Kissy stuff" on TV is easier for them to filter out than two people right in front of them going at it on the beach in broad daylight.  Which btw is a public decency offense. 

If all you hippies think it's perfectly fine for young children to watch two adults have sex in public, fine.  I just happen to disagree with you.  I'll tell my kids about the birds & the bees when I think they're mature enough to handle it.  I'd rather not have the conversation forced at an earlier time.

All that said, the sentence is harsh.  A misdemeanor with a fine/community service or whatever would be appropriate IMO.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Maybe something to worry about. Not sure that something is worth destroying lives. Can't we just fine people or do something normal instead of draconian bullshit?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Yeah, I wasn't saying earlier that they shouldn't have been punished at all... but the punishment should be much, much lighter.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 01:43:01 PM
All that said, the sentence is harsh.  A misdemeanor with a fine/community service or whatever would be appropriate IMO.

And everybody sane would agree. But our lawmakers are not sane.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Because children.

It might be like in this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ7qY0KXSVg
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: KRonn on May 05, 2015, 12:47:13 PM
Did I miss something? Why is there even a possibility for a prison sentence for having sex, never mind up to 15 years? Yes, it was in a bit of a public place but does it really deserve a long prison sentence and a sex offender label? We've gone too far with the sex offender stuff, unless there's a lot more to this case but I didn't see it in the article.

Yeah, I have no problem with charging them for public indecency (though even that's shaky if none of the witnesses could testify that they saw genitalia or penetration), but it should just be a misdemeanor that carries a fine. 

OTOH, as always, we can't rule out that there's more to the case than the article says.

Ed Anger

Disagree.  I'm actually pretty easy-going with how I raise my kids, but I don't think it's healthy for them to be exposed to this sort of thing.  "Kissy stuff" on TV is easier for them to filter out than two people right in front of them going at it on the beach in broad daylight.  Which btw is a public decency offense. 

If all you hippies think it's perfectly fine for young children to watch two adults have sex in public, fine.  I just happen to disagree with you.  I'll tell my kids about the birds & the bees when I think they're mature enough to handle it.  I'd rather not have the conversation forced at an earlier time.

I'm sure there will be 5 pages upcoming parsing your statement.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

Huh. I thought we were done.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2015, 01:50:26 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

Huh. I thought we were done.

You nerds and aspies cant help yourselves.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2015, 01:45:11 PM

And everybody sane would agree. But our lawmakers are not sane.

In fairness, I doubt that anyone in the Florida legislature intended that someone go to prison for 15 years for this.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on May 05, 2015, 01:52:42 PM
In fairness, I doubt that anyone in the Florida legislature intended that someone go to prison for 15 years for this.

Yet people have been complaining about this for years and similar laws with similar perverse results exist in many other states. If that was not their intention they have had plenty of time to fix it and plenty of examples to bring it to their attention. They seem to be fine with it.