Should the US raise the federal minimum wage?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 23, 2015, 01:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the US raise the minimum wage?

No, keep it at $7.25
2 (6.7%)
Abolish the minimum wage
10 (33.3%)
Raise it to $10
5 (16.7%)
Raise it to $11.25
0 (0%)
Raise it to $12.50
3 (10%)
Raise it to $13.75
1 (3.3%)
Raise it to $15
5 (16.7%)
Raise it higher than $15
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2015, 10:43:31 AM
You suggested that unemployment would rise if the minimum wage was above the prevailing market wage.  I asked what that was and you don't know.  I asked if wages for illegal immigrants factor into this, and you said you didn't know.  That seems like important information.  I also wonder if this minimum wage/job loss is linear or otherwise predictable.  For if we raised it five dollars above the prevailing market wage how much employment are we talking about?  .01% increase?  50% increase?

I agree that it's important information. :cheers:

Recorded price elasticities of minimum wage labor range from -0.1 to -0.3.  I.e. a 10% increase in the minwage would lead to a loss of 1% to 3% of the minwage jobs.

We don't know if the relationship is linear.  That's why I welcome the LA experiment.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2015, 08:02:31 PM
Ah, so you guys think this is one of those empty gesture deals?  I.e.  "minimum wage" workers are already getting paid more than minimum wage?

Not exactly.
Thinking more of the empirical work more generally, plus the fact they are more significant factors at play.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2015, 10:47:30 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2015, 10:43:31 AM
You suggested that unemployment would rise if the minimum wage was above the prevailing market wage.  I asked what that was and you don't know.  I asked if wages for illegal immigrants factor into this, and you said you didn't know.  That seems like important information.  I also wonder if this minimum wage/job loss is linear or otherwise predictable.  For if we raised it five dollars above the prevailing market wage how much employment are we talking about?  .01% increase?  50% increase?

I agree that it's important information. :cheers:

Recorded price elasticities of minimum wage labor range from -0.1 to -0.3.  I.e. a 10% increase in the minwage would lead to a loss of 1% to 3% of the minwage jobs.

We don't know if the relationship is linear.  That's why I welcome the LA experiment.

I have another thought.  If there is already a glut in minimum wage type jobs, would the loss of a small percentage even be noticed?  If say the minimum wage increases, and there is still a glut in these type of low paying jobs, is any harm done?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 20, 2015, 12:15:52 PM
Not exactly.
Thinking more of the empirical work more generally, plus the fact they are more significant factors at play.

:yes: Such as excess profits being banked as trophies instead of shared with ground-level workers actually earning large companies their millions and even billions.  Crappy, moderate-risk, low-yield IRA portfolios where employees have no say in where their investments are going do not constitute profit-sharing in my book.

Commission sales soften the blow a small bit, but compensation is far too stratified- a prime example is a recent sales contest at my store: the top 10 associates in each district by total ticket sales received $100 Visa gift cards.  The managers of stores where these associates worked, on the other hand, were offered big-screen TVs.  For someone else's work.
Experience bij!

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2015, 02:55:05 PM
I have another thought.  If there is already a glut in minimum wage type jobs, would the loss of a small percentage even be noticed?  If say the minimum wage increases, and there is still a glut in these type of low paying jobs, is any harm done?
I'm not an economist, but doesn't elasticity handle the phenomenon you're describing?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Hong Kong's minimum wage is around US$4.  That's not a nominal amount.  Hundreds of thousands of people are paid that wage, and we are as expensive as New York.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on May 20, 2015, 03:39:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2015, 02:55:05 PM
I'm not an economist, but doesn't elasticity handle the phenomenon you're describing?

I don't know.  Rubber bands can do quite a bit, I don't know their roll in economics beyond rolling up news papers (that was my first job!).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

The other way around Timmy.  Minimum wage adjusted for COL.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

The second column is the local minimum wage adjusted for local cost of living.  I.e. someone in Manhattan making minimum wage is equivalent to earning 3.86 in Averageville.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2015, 06:44:45 PM
The second column is the local minimum wage adjusted for local cost of living.  I.e. someone in Manhattan making minimum wage is equivalent to earning 3.86 in Averageville.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. :)

1 Karma Chameleon point