Should the US raise the federal minimum wage?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 23, 2015, 01:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the US raise the minimum wage?

No, keep it at $7.25
2 (6.7%)
Abolish the minimum wage
10 (33.3%)
Raise it to $10
5 (16.7%)
Raise it to $11.25
0 (0%)
Raise it to $12.50
3 (10%)
Raise it to $13.75
1 (3.3%)
Raise it to $15
5 (16.7%)
Raise it higher than $15
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2015, 07:48:57 AM
Just heard on NPR that 40% of workers in LA currently earn less than 15/hour.  So maybe not totally meaningless.

That is amazing. I figured in places like New York and LA wages were significantly higher. I guess those Five Guys burgers are going to be a bit more pricey.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

It makes more sense if you keep in mind that the posh parts of LA aren't actually in LA.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2015, 07:54:47 AM
It makes more sense if you keep in mind that the posh parts of LA aren't actually in LA.

Ah it is one of those cities.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2015, 07:16:14 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 19, 2015, 11:42:58 PM
What do you expect the prevailing market wage for unskilled labor is?  What do illegal immigrants make?

I don't know.  I don't know.  Why do you ask?  Why do you ask?

It would seem relevant to whether or not there will be large scale unemployment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2015, 08:10:34 AM
It would seem relevant to whether or not there will be large scale unemployment.

Therefore....

Fill in the gaps for me Raz.

Valmy

Maybe they are trying to drive underclass jobs into the suburbs and release pressure on their school system  :ph34r:

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2015, 07:24:01 AM
That would lean towards you then just paying for burger in LA. Why drive / spend time going out of your way if you don't need to pay for it?
I'd rather give my company's money to big oil than to the poors?  Duh. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 20, 2015, 08:42:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2015, 07:24:01 AM
That would lean towards you then just paying for burger in LA. Why drive / spend time going out of your way if you don't need to pay for it?
I'd rather give my company's money to big oil than to the poors?  Duh. :)

Isn't your time worth something?

Though to be fair this is completely silly hypothetical. How often do you go to LA on business?

Caliga

Couple of times a year.  Will be there in October.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 20, 2015, 08:50:48 AM
Couple of times a year.  Will be there in October.

Sorry man. Traveling for business sucks ass.

Admiral Yi

It's awesome for hourly workers.  I made out like a bandit the three times I traveled for work.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2015, 09:13:26 AM
It's awesome for hourly workers.  I made out like a bandit the three times I traveled for work.

It's been a while, but man yeah that was pretty awesome.  I made enough traveling + OT during Y2K to pay for a TV, receiver, and speakers.  Though it's probably an even trade for having to spend that New Years in Cleveland :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2015, 09:07:46 AM
Sorry man. Traveling for business sucks ass.

Definitely rough when you have kids.  I don't travel nearly as much now, but when I did it was cool getting to see parts of the country I might not have otherwise seen.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2015, 08:12:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2015, 08:10:34 AM

Therefore....

Fill in the gaps for me Raz.

You suggested that unemployment would rise if the minimum wage was above the prevailing market wage.  I asked what that was and you don't know.  I asked if wages for illegal immigrants factor into this, and you said you didn't know.  That seems like important information.  I also wonder if this minimum wage/job loss is linear or otherwise predictable.  For if we raised it five dollars above the prevailing market wage how much employment are we talking about?  .01% increase?  50% increase?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017