Should the US raise the federal minimum wage?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 23, 2015, 01:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the US raise the minimum wage?

No, keep it at $7.25
2 (6.7%)
Abolish the minimum wage
10 (33.3%)
Raise it to $10
5 (16.7%)
Raise it to $11.25
0 (0%)
Raise it to $12.50
3 (10%)
Raise it to $13.75
1 (3.3%)
Raise it to $15
5 (16.7%)
Raise it higher than $15
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 19, 2015, 06:07:52 PM
L.A. will raise the wage to $15 by 2020

Perfect.  Now let's see what happens to employment.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

I predict I will not buy fast food in Los Angeles any longer when I'm out there.  I will give my business to Orange County instead. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on May 19, 2015, 07:17:30 PM
I predict I will not buy fast food in Los Angeles any longer when I'm out there.  I will give my business to Orange County instead. :mad:

You'd rather waste an hour in traffic than a couple extra dollars on your burger?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 19, 2015, 07:14:17 PM
I predict not much.

Yeah, I think (in California) the minimum is currently too low to be having a significant effect as it is. I bet there's a lot of play in there before anything really starts crunching.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Ah, so you guys think this is one of those empty gesture deals?  I.e.  "minimum wage" workers are already getting paid more than minimum wage?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 19, 2015, 08:00:49 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 19, 2015, 07:14:17 PM
I predict not much.

Yeah, I think (in California) the minimum is currently too low to be having a significant effect as it is. I bet there's a lot of play in there before anything really starts crunching.
A raise from 9 to 15 over the next 15 sounds substantial to me. I imagine there are alot of peoplr making 10 or 11 that will be affected.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2015, 08:02:31 PM
Ah, so you guys think this is one of those empty gesture deals?  I.e.  "minimum wage" workers are already getting paid more than minimum wage?

I guess you are assuming that when ever there is a rise in minimum wage there is going to be less employment?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 19, 2015, 10:37:58 PM
I guess you are assuming that when ever there is a rise in minimum wage there is going to be less employment?

Except those cases when the minimum wage is lower than the prevailing market wage for unskilled labor, and those cases in which there is growth in overall employment unrelated to the minimum wage.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2015, 10:40:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 19, 2015, 10:37:58 PM

Except those cases when the minimum wage is lower than the prevailing market wage for unskilled labor, and those cases in which there is growth in overall employment unrelated to the minimum wage.

What do you expect the prevailing market wage for unskilled labor is?  What do illegal immigrants make?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 19, 2015, 07:45:09 PM

You'd rather waste an hour in traffic than a couple extra dollars on your burger?  :hmm:
Yes.  Plus I'm not paying for it, so who cares.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 19, 2015, 11:42:58 PM
What do you expect the prevailing market wage for unskilled labor is?  What do illegal immigrants make?

I don't know.  I don't know.  Why do you ask?  Why do you ask?

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 20, 2015, 06:57:24 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 19, 2015, 07:45:09 PM

Yes.  Plus I'm not paying for it, so who cares.

That would lean towards you then just paying for burger in LA. Why drive / spend time going out of your way if you don't need to pay for it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2015, 08:02:31 PM

That is what I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Just heard on NPR that 40% of workers in LA currently earn less than 15/hour.  So maybe not totally meaningless.