News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2015, 08:38:11 PM

And I'll bet that, when he leaves, he will leave as the dean of B10 coaches.  OSU is the one who has to wonder how long their coach will be there.  Meyer has none of the glue that will keep Harbaugh at Michigan.

Fitzgerald's probably at Northwestern for the long haul.

MadImmortalMan

Michigan up six places to #12. Also helping Utah.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

"Two other former players said Sarkisian and other coaches regularly consumed alcohol in offices — one said the coach typically kept an 18-pack of Coors Light stashed near his desk — and that he appeared uncharacteristically loud and unsteady on some team flights."

Siege = Sark?  :hmm:

Siege, the armenian jew?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 12, 2015, 02:40:21 PM

And I'll bet that, when he leaves, he will leave as the dean of B10 coaches.  OSU is the one who has to wonder how long their coach will be there.  Meyer has none of the glue that will keep Harbaugh at Michigan.

Fitzgerald's probably at Northwestern for the long haul.

Until he flames out or doesn't flame out and so gets an irresistible contract offer.  One of those will happen in the next ten years.  NW just doesn't have the money to keep a top-level coach.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 12, 2015, 02:55:55 PM
Michigan up six places to #12. Also helping Utah.  :P

Both teams have done well for the other since the opening game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

grumbler

Bayraktar!

sbr

Ole Ball Coach just up and retired.  Not shocking, but surprising.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/reports--south-carolina-head-coach-steve-spurrier-plans-to-retire-012729392.html

QuoteSouth Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier has retired, according to multiple reports.
According to Gamecock Central, Spurrier informed his team and coaching staff of his decision after practice on Monday night while Football Scoop is reporting that an interim head coach will be named at 8:30 ET on Tuesday morning. Thayer Evans of Sports Illustrated was the first to report the news.

Spurrier, 70, was in his 11th season at South Carolina. He led the Gamecocks to an SEC East title in 2010 and three straight 11-win seasons from 2011 to 2013, but the team trudged to a 7-6 record in 2014 and has struggled to a 2-4 (0-4 SEC) mark through six games this season.

Overall during his tenure in Columbia, Spurrier registered an 86-49 record with a 44-40 mark in SEC play and five bowl wins. He is South Carolina's all-time winningest coach.

Before his time at South Carolina, the Head Ball Coach spent 12 years at Florida, his alma mater, where he won six SEC titles and the 1996 national championship. He also spent three seasons as the head coach at Duke and two seasons leading the Washington Redskins in 2002 and 2003.

Spurrier, who compiled a 228-89-2 overall record as a collegiate head coach, played quarterback at UF from 1963 to 1966 and won the Heisman Trophy in 1966.

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on October 12, 2015, 05:09:16 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2015, 04:50:13 PM
Sark's out at USC.

Least surprising firing ever.

Yeah, well ... erm ... I guess.  After not even a slap on the wrist after the Salute to Troy disaster, then starting off with a "leave of absence" yesterday I wouldn't have been fall-on-the-ground shocked if they hadn't fired Sark, but then the shit hit the fan and everyone on Twitter started telling their Drunk Sark stories and he was cooked.  There is talk that the worst hasn't even come out yet and Haden wanted to make sure he was out in front of that.

I wonder how much heat is on Haden down there.  He hired Layne Kiffin and Sark back-to-back; anyone who had any desire to know would have been able to find out about Sark's booze culture at U Dub; he let him off without anything after embarrassing the entire school at the booster/alum banquet in August.  I wouldn't be very confident in his ability to run the department given his current record so far.

I heard an incredible thing this morning, when USC and Notre Dame play on Saturday it will be the fourth consecutive meeting where USC has a new coach.

2012 - Layne Kiffin
2013 - Ed Orgeron (interim after Kiffin fired 2 games prior)
2014 - Sark
2015 - Clay Helton (interim after Sark fired 1 game prior)

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2015, 09:23:33 PM

I wonder how much heat is on Haden down there.  He hired Layne Kiffin and Sark back-to-back; \

He didn't hire Lane Kiffin. That was on Mike Garrett. Missing on one hire usually doesn't get an AD fired.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

sbr

I'm not concerned that Harbaugh is leaving any time soon.  Maybe after his parents pass, and his kids finish school, but Harbaugh and his wife have talked repeatedly about how they want their kids to grow up in Ann Arbor, and to have access to their grandparents.  We're talking ten years, minimum.  If Harbaugh wants to leave after ten years, I'll wish him well and will be confident that he'll leave the program in great shape.  He'll only leave even then for a really good NFL gig, though.

You are obviously more dialed into the situation, but I personally would be very surprised if he wasn't back in the NFL within 5 years.

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on October 12, 2015, 09:26:22 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2015, 09:23:33 PM

I wonder how much heat is on Haden down there.  He hired Layne Kiffin and Sark back-to-back; \

He didn't hire Lane Kiffin. That was on Mike Garrett. Missing on one hire usually doesn't get an AD fired.

Hmm, I wonder where I heard he hired Kiffin.

I agree that one miss usually doesn't get an AD fired, but that was a big, terrible and relatively unsurprising miss.

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2015, 09:26:37 PM

You are obviously more dialed into the situation, but I personally would be very surprised if he wasn't back in the NFL within 5 years.

I really have no clue, but I'll put in my two cents anyway. I agree with grumbles. He could have gotten a prime NFL job if he wanted it. He has coached in college and the NFL. I think he wants to coach college, and at Michigan. I hope I'm wrong because I hate agreeing with grumbler, especially when he is such a full on homer for Michigan. I hate Ohio State and Urban Meyer a lot more than Michigan, so hopefully he at least beats the shit out of them.

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2015, 09:30:00 PM

I agree that one miss usually doesn't get an AD fired, but that was a big, terrible and relatively unsurprising miss.

I don't disagree, but Foley at UF hired Ron Zook and followed it up with Urban Meyer.

Ron Zook might be the worst and most bizarre big time coaching hires of our era.

I don't really have a point in this, but any discussion of college coach hiring is likely to have me bring up Florida hiring Ron Zook, because it not only brings me great joy to reflect upon that but also genuine confusion as to how the fuck that happened.

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2015, 09:26:37 PM

This is a very popular opinion (used to be the second-most-popular opinion, right behind "Harbaugh would never ever leave the NFL for college" but now in first), but I've never heard any rationale for it, other than "he's a competitor."  He is a competitor, but college football is competitive, too.  Plus, he is insanely "rah-rah" in his leadership, which he knows is a blessing in a college coach and generally a curse in a pro coach Carroll makes it work, somehow, but nobody else that I can think of). 

Now, Harbaugh may decide at some point that the Michigan job is "mission accomplished," and move on (back to the pros), but that seems highly unlikely in the next five years.  Why would you think Harbaugh is more likely to leave his destination job than is, say, Meyer likely to leave OSU?  Because Harbaugh has been pulled into better gigs after three or four years up to this point?  Urban Meyer left Bowling Green after two years, Utah after two years, and Florida after five years (quitting in the last case, rather than being drawn into a better job).  Meyer entered his fourth job in his eleventh year coaching, just like Harbaugh.

Bayraktar!