News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 06, 2015, 08:11:08 AM
Looks like Auburn will give us another year of ugly wins. Why do we do this to ourselves? Choose a team to follow and raise our blood pressure.   :D

Louisville probably doesn't suck.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Louisville is one of the better teams in the ACC.  Probably no worse than 4th best in the conference, and maybe as good as 2nd best, depending on how good or bad the new QBs at Florida State and Duke perform.

OTOH, even being 2nd best in the ACC might not put you in the top 25 nationwide.  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 05, 2015, 11:54:03 PM
Valmy, I wouldn't bemoan the state of Texas recruiting too much. The state has 2 teams in the top five.

Neither of them are there for their amazing linemen. Nor do either overwhelm teams with their talent.

QuoteIt is crazy to me that if you were ranking teams in Texas, the Longhorns would be no better than 4th right now (and I know some people would argue lower). It would be rather epic if they were to beat TCU or Baylor (or aTm if they were to play).

Eh that is how things were in the 80s and 90s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Texas has the most 3+ star recruits (a bit more than 1300 over the past 5 years), but also the largest # of FBS schools (12). 

Florida has just under 1300 and "only" 7 schools.

New Jersey has had 222 and just one school, but the best of those guys go to Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/15/8143431/states-most-players-recruits
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2015, 05:14:35 PM
Texas has the most 3+ star recruits (a bit more than 1300 over the past 5 years), but also the largest # of FBS schools (12). 

Florida has just under 1300 and "only" 7 schools.

New Jersey has had 222 and just one school, but the best of those guys go to Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/15/8143431/states-most-players-recruits

The recruits / school really is only relevant if your school is lower division. It isn't as though many players in Texas are being offered by UT and turning them down to play for Baylor. In Florida it is exceedingly rare that a player has a big 3 offer and stays instate but doesn't go to a big 3 school.

If there are ~1300 top players in Texas, UT really can pick the guys they want with the only really tough instate competition being aTm. Since schools in Texas taking the leftovers are highly successful, I find it hard to come to a conclusion other than UT is in some combination recruiting the wrong guys, not developing the guys they recruit, and/or not using the guys they recruit very well.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2015, 05:29:20 PM
The recruits / school really is only relevant if your school is lower division. It isn't as though many players in Texas are being offered by UT and turning them down to play for Baylor. In Florida it is exceedingly rare that a player has a big 3 offer and stays instate but doesn't go to a big 3 school.

If there are ~1300 top players in Texas, UT really can pick the guys they want with the only really tough instate competition being aTm. Since schools in Texas taking the leftovers are highly successful, I find it hard to come to a conclusion other than UT is in some combination recruiting the wrong guys, not developing the guys they recruit, and/or not using the guys they recruit very well.

First of all this is not true, guys UT wants do not come to UT all the time. And finally of course the recruiting was weak combined with terrible development combined with misusing talent. Those things were basically Mack Brown's staple after he won the National Championship. He just lost whatever fire he once had in those areas. It was very evident even in the 2008 and 2009 teams that dark days were ahead. It was very frustrating to watch. Rome does not fall in a day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2015, 05:33:44 PM

First of all this is not true, guys UT wants do not come to UT all the time.

But I assume the texas guys that ditch UT are going out of state if not to aTm (for the most part)? I would think that 90% of the lineups for Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU didn't have UT offers.

Georgia is heavily recruited by out of state schools, but GT has surrendered the in state battle. Before Paul Johnson, GT & UGA would fight over the top guys, and UGA would usually win, but maybe 1/3 to 1/4 would got to UGA. But now, GT doesn't even try. Which makes it all the more hilarious when GT beats them. "None of their guys could play for us and they run a gimmick high school offense, and fire Mark Richt" is awesome to hear over and over.

Eddie Teach

:huh:

Richt is 12-2 vs Georgia Tech. Their gimmicky offense may be hard to play against, but they never have a very good defense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2015, 05:46:22 PM
But I assume the texas guys that ditch UT are going out of state if not to aTm (for the most part)? I would think that 90% of the lineups for Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU didn't have UT offers.

That is probably true but not for the reasons you might think. Mack Brown was key on never offering anybody who had not already accepted. So plenty of players just blew him off and he never offered. Charlie Strong offers everybody he likes whether or not they like Texas so this percentage is likely to go down as time goes on. He has lost to TCU and Baylor and Oklahoma on some players last recruiting cycle.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 06, 2015, 05:54:50 PM
:huh:

Richt is 12-2 vs Georgia Tech. Their gimmicky offense may be hard to play against, but they never have a very good defense.

He was 0-1 last year.  :P

PDH

God I hate sometimes being a Wyoming fan.  The team loses to a poor FCS team, they look awful, and I still have to summon the hope to root for them next week.  Since the Black 14 (look it up), Wyoming has had a few good, a couple of decent, and a lot of bad teams.  I fear this is one of the latter...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

And no, Tim, you don't get to root for whomever is good at the moment.  A fan is a fan.  Period.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on September 06, 2015, 10:11:14 PM
God I hate sometimes being a Wyoming fan.  The team loses to a poor FCS team, they look awful, and I still have to summon the hope to root for them next week.  Since the Black 14 (look it up), Wyoming has had a few good, a couple of decent, and a lot of bad teams.  I fear this is one of the latter...

Don't despair too much. You get to play Washington State in a couple weeks, and judging by their week 1 debacle, that could be a win.  :P

I googled the Black 14 and came up with a story on a website, "things black people don't like" with an entry "wyoming football". Considering that about half the talent base in the sport is black, the black 14 incident may not have been the best recruiting gambit.

alfred russel

No reason to look at Blacksburg. Nothing is happening there right now. I'm sure Urban Meyer has things under control.

alfred russel

Fucking Frank Beamer & the Hokies.  :mad: