And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2015, 05:15:41 PM
he even has them staying in non-AC dorms to heighten the discomfort

I was thinking, "whoa, hardcore" then remembered they are in Michigan. Wtf is up with AC in Michigan being dorm rooms in the first place?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Buildings get pretty warm even when it's nice outside. Opening the windows lets a lot of noise in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2015, 05:21:07 PM
I was thinking, "whoa, hardcore" then remembered they are in Michigan. Wtf is up with AC in Michigan being dorm rooms in the first place? 

There is a season called "summer" when you need AC.  Its only for three days, but you need AC on those three days.

Not all the dorms have AC.  Just those open during summer term.  As the dorms get renovated, they get modern HVAC units; those come with AC so there's no seperate AC system.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Man, Michigan turns into a swamp in the summer. You need AC for more than a couple days. I'd be cranking it just to get the humidity down.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

I used to live in Michiana. AC is nice, but it is hardly ubiquitous up there. I don't think that quite qualifies as the junction boys treatment.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

unlike Bo's intro, nobody is leaving.

Well yeah, but the team Hoke left behind probably doesn't many good transfer options.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2015, 07:03:14 PM
unlike Bo's intro, nobody is leaving.

Well yeah, but the team Hoke left behind probably doesn't many good transfer options.  :P

Actually, that's what was so frustrating:  Hoke was a terrific recruiter, with classes ranked 7th in 2012 and 5th in 2013 before the wheels fell off in 2014 (34th after having been 6th in October).  Hoke left Harbaugh far more talent than RichRod left him, and far, far more than Carr left RR.

Of the five running backs in contention this year, for instance, two were five-stars and two were four-stars.  With Harbaugh, all those guys will play.  Harbaugh creates a scheme to fit his players, unlike RR and Hoke.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 27, 2015, 06:40:43 PM
Man, Michigan turns into a swamp in the summer. You need AC for more than a couple days. I'd be cranking it just to get the humidity down.
The three days was a joke (in fact, a Michigan joke).  August in AA is hard to take without AC because of, as you say, humidity.  It may only be 95 degrees out, but it is a humid 95 degrees.

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on August 27, 2015, 04:32:22 PM
Under the new coach Wyoming went back to basics.  One home set, one away set for uniforms.  If not having Cowboy-Camo jerseys drives off some recruits, having a coach that actually wants to focus on playing better might eventually mean a better team...

:worthy:

That's bringing some sanity back to the game. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

This Montana - NDSU game is pretty entertaining.  Montana just kicked a FG to get it to 35-31 NDSU with less than 3:00 left. 

E:  Haha FOOTBALL IS BACK.  Love that RB basically crowd surfing right near the goal line with 6 seconds left in the game. 

And Montana takes the lead with :02 left in the game.  Great game to start the football season.

Grey Fox

Are all NCAA football players, in the bowl division atleast, tuition-free students?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 30, 2015, 08:17:31 PM
Are all NCAA football players, in the bowl division atleast, tuition-free students?

No. Almost every team has walk ons--members of the student body that aren't on scholarship. Usually they are used to fill out the practice squad and fill in if there is a rash of injuries. The NCAA limits teams to 85 scholarships, so to the extent you need more warm bodies the walk ons are needed.

Almost everyone you see in a game is on a scholarship. Occasionally a walk on is good enough to get significant playing time--usually he is then given a scholarship. Once in a while a player from a wealthy family or on some other type of arrangement will forego a scholarship to help the team out.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 01, 2015, 08:37:14 AM
America! :)

These students aren't tuition-free, they are on scholarship.  The athletic department pays the school the amount that the student would normally pay in tuition, and gets the money from athletic revenues.  The school gets as much money from football players as it does from any other students.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 01, 2015, 08:37:14 AM
America! :)

It works the same way in Canada  ;). Although the funds athletic departments can attract are much less than in the US and as a result the number of full scholarship rides are rare.