News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2015, 12:47:09 AM
It just struck me--what kind of bullshit name is "Royals" for an American team? Do they celebrate July 4th in Kansas City?

I wonder if this is why beeb is a fan.  :hmm:

Anyway, any team going up against the mets is okay for me. Go Royals Kansas City!  :)

The name is a tribute to the old Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Leagues.

Why the Negro League team called itself the Monarchs, or why Ewing Kaufman didn't just use that name for his team, I don't know.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on October 28, 2015, 04:59:12 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2015, 12:47:09 AM
It just struck me--what kind of bullshit name is "Royals" for an American team? Do they celebrate July 4th in Kansas City?

I wonder if this is why beeb is a fan.  :hmm:

Anyway, any team going up against the mets is okay for me. Go Royals Kansas City!  :)

The name is a tribute to the old Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Leagues.

Why the Negro League team called itself the Monarchs, or why Ewing Kaufman didn't just use that name for his team, I don't know.

According to Wiki they were named after American Royal, a livestock show held in Kansas City every year (though they cite the Monarchs as an alternate explanation).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Ok well tonight was not as entertaining. I only caught the first four innings and then the top of the 9th so I missed most of the action.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2015, 10:11:44 PM
Ok well tonight was not as entertaining. I only caught the first four innings and then the top of the 9th so I missed most of the action.

But much easier on my heart (and my sleep schedule!).

Impressive performance by Cueto.  Pitching a complete game in the world series?  Nice.

I'm watching on Canadian Sportsnet channel.  They have the Fox feed, but occasionally cut away to their own analysts back in Canada (where they still keep talking about the Blue Jays!).  Anyways, the analyst there is convinced the Royals are stealing signals, which is how they were able to get so many hits against deGrom in the fifth.

Grey Fox

Is that ok?

I think it should be.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2015, 08:36:03 AM
Is that ok?

I think it should be.

If they figured it out the old fashioned way by just observing them in the game it's not illegal, just frowned upon. If they stole/hacked the info somehow, then it's illegal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2015, 08:36:03 AM
Is that ok?

I think it should be.

This article from mlb.com seems to say it's "part of the game".

Valmy

I know it is early but it feels like the Mets' night tonight.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Alright looking like the Mets are going to roll. It was fun but I think I am out for the night....which probably means the Royals will come back for a dramatic victory  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2015, 09:41:37 PM
Alright looking like the Mets are going to roll. It was fun but I think I am out for the night....which probably means the Royals will come back for a dramatic victory  :P

Yeah, I still have the game going, but I've gone from "actively watching" to "having it on in the background".

Ah well, a 4 game sweep would have been boring anyways.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2015, 09:58:48 PM

Yeah, I still have the game going, but I've gone from "actively watching" to "having it on in the background".

i quite enjoyed it in 2012.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on October 30, 2015, 11:02:12 PM

Especially because you thought it would be the last one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Anyone watching Game 4?

I didn't watch the first part (kiddies needed to go trick-or-treating), but the Royals just rocked the top of the 8th to pull into a two run lead.   :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2015, 10:08:51 PM
Anyone watching Game 4?

I didn't watch the first part (kiddies needed to go trick-or-treating), but the Royals just rocked the top of the 8th to pull into a two run lead.   :cool:

No I watched a football game that ruined my week :weep:

I will make sure I tune in to watch the Royals win it all tomorrow.

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2015, 11:07:51 PM
Quote from: katmai on October 30, 2015, 11:02:12 PM

Especially because you thought it would be the last one.
:huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son