News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2015, 09:52:19 AM
Baltimore hmm tough one - too many good 70s/80s choices but slim pickins after.

How bout

Boog Powell, Ken Singleton, Mike Flanagan, Brady Anderson

Brady??  Dude had like 2 good years.

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2015, 09:52:19 AM
Boog Powell, Ken Singleton, Mike Flanagan, Brady Anderson

:lol:

Yi: Minsky is joking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

I'm serious just using different criteria.    ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2015, 10:03:41 AM

The criteria of best supporting cast members?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2015, 10:04:49 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2015, 10:03:41 AM

The criteria of best supporting cast members?

That are indelibly associated with that team, and the zeitgeist of the team in the era they played.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Oh and no Hall of Famers.  Yeah Gomez and Lombardi are in but they are old school Veterans committee selections so doesn't count for this purpose.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2015, 08:52:44 AM
I am kind of a Negro League buff so I voted for Gibson, Paige, Buck Leonard, and Oscar Charleston.

There is also a weird category for old guys who played for teams that no longer exist. Went with Keeler, Sisler, Grover Cleveland Alexander 'Slayer of the Yankees', and Cap 'I am a fucking racist even by the standards of my time' Anson. Seriously fuck Cap Anson...damn great ballplayer though.

Huh. Why was Alexander here and not with the Cubs, Phillies, or Cardinals? I don't get this category at all.

For Negro League players I voted Judy Johnson, Satchel Paige, Cool Papa Bell, and Oscar Charleston.  But I'm a little biased because I got to meet three of those guys as a kid.  I had a little bit of a hard time understanding Cool Papa Bell :Embarrass:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

It was a fun exercise going through every team.  Some were just a joke.  Other more established teams had a surprising dearth of top choices, like the Cubs.  I ended up picking 2 guys from the 80s. 

Then with the Yankees, Reds, Cardinals, and a few other teams it's an embarrassment of riches.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I was thinking about the Cubs and drew a blank after Ernie Banks.  Who did you come up with?

The Minsky Moment

Cubs - if I were doing it "real"
Banks, Santo, Sandberg, Stan Hack

Doing it my way:
Charlie Root, Phil Caravetta, Rick Reuschel, Mark Grace
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2015, 04:27:19 PM
I was thinking about the Cubs and drew a blank after Ernie Banks.  Who did you come up with?

Sandberg, Ferguson Jenkins, and Cap Anson (no idea why he's in that other category and not here).  Actually, I was kind of miffed that you can only vote for one write-in candidate per team, or I'd have gone with Frank Chance instead of Jenkins.

Admiral Yi

New book about Ty Cobb says all the stuff about him being a monster was fabricated.

Valmy

QuoteFrank Chance

Yeah it was kind of weird there were no players from the Cubs glory days, such as they were.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2015, 07:17:16 AM
New book about Ty Cobb says all the stuff about him being a monster was fabricated.

I had heard something to that effect before.  It wouldn't surprise me if some of that was fabricated.