Will science prove the existence of parallel universes!?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2015, 12:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on March 30, 2015, 12:50:02 PM
Oh shit, a Minsky attack.

More of a Minsky defense against silliness.

My posts calling Intelligent Design and the Discovery Institute deliberate frauds were attacks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2015, 01:03:09 PM

My posts calling Intelligent Design and the Discovery Institute deliberate frauds were attacks.

Why? People have the right to believe whatever they want, as long as it does not infringes on their neighbour's freedoms.
I believe the world was created 5775 years ago. This might sound silly to you, but i don't force you to believe in my silliness, so stop forcing YOUR silliness on the rest of us.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on March 30, 2015, 01:08:29 PM

Why? People have the right to believe whatever they want, as long as it does not infringes on their neighbour's freedoms.
I believe the world was created 5775 years ago. This might sound silly to you, but i don't force you to believe in my silliness, so stop forcing YOUR silliness on the rest of us.
Why do you insist on foisting your ideas on the rest of us? We are free to believe as we wish, in this country.  If you don't like that, find another country, 'cause we're not going to change.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2015, 01:11:39 PM

Why do you insist on foisting your ideas on the rest of us? We are free to believe as we wish, in this country.  If you don't like that, find another country, 'cause we're not going to change.

[yiddish accent] STRAWMAN!!!!111111 [/yiddish accent]

When have I ever tried to convince anyone of any religious believe I have?
Nevah, in my whole friggin Languish Life (tm).

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Not questioning your belief.

But that belief is Creationism - the belief that God created the world at a particular instance in time.  Perfectly fine to believe in.  But the Supreme Court ruled back in the 80s that it couldn't be taught in the public schools.

"Intelligent Design" is a concept put together by lawyers and their consultants in an effort to get around the Supreme Court decision.  It is not a "philosophical concept" -- it has no real content outside of its potential use as a convenient euphemism and legal strategy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 30, 2015, 01:26:10 PM

But that belief is Creationism - the belief that God created the world at a particular instance in time.  Perfectly fine to believe in.  But the Supreme Court ruled back in the 80s that it couldn't be taught in the public schools.

"Intelligent Design" is a concept put together by lawyers and their consultants in an effort to get around the Supreme Court decision.  It is not a "philosophical concept" -- it has no real content outside of its potential use as a convenient euphemism and legal strategy.

Are you saying in that instance the lawyers provided the design and the consultants, the intelligence?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on March 30, 2015, 01:14:25 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2015, 01:11:39 PM

[yiddish accent] STRAWMAN!!!!111111 [/yiddish accent]

When have I ever tried to convince anyone of any religious believe I have?
Nevah, in my whole friggin Languish Life (tm).

Waitamminit; you can freely and falsely accuse me, but I can't return the favor?   That's [yiddish accent] bullshit [/yiddish accent].

And your "Discovery Institute" is still a fraud, and still trying to tell me what religion to teach in my school.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Exactly.  The lie that they propose includes the fraud that there is a "scientific theory known as intelligent design" http://www.discovery.org/id/faqs/

Now, they cutely state later in the FAQ that "Intelligent design (ID) is a scientific theory that employs the methods commonly used by other historical sciences to conclude that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection."  So, in other words, they are really dodging any claim that it is a scientific theory in accordance with actual science, but by claiming the existence of something called "the historical sciences" they perpetuate the fraud that ID is a "scientific theory."

Never, in their fraudulent descriptions of what the "scientific method" is, do they concede that the purpose of experimentation is to disprove a hypothesis or theory.  Because, of course, their fraudulent claims to using the "scientific method" are based on the fraudulent claim that the scientific method consists only of observing, hypothesizing, experimentation by "examin[ing] biological structures to test if high CSI exists" as predicted, and, if they conclude that it does, then conclude that "because they exhibit high levels of CSI, a quality known to be produced only by intelligent design, and because there is no other known mechanism to explain the origin of these "irreducibly complex" biological structures, we conclude that they were intelligently designed."  That's not science at all.  That's fraud.

Further, it is fraud so patently fraudulent that only the ignorant or willfully stupid could fall for it hook, raz, and sinker.

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 30, 2015, 12:21:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2015, 03:33:46 PM
It's not a scientific concept.  It's a philosophical one.

It's neither.
It's a legal concept, devised to circumvent the Establishment Clause.

Sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I believe the world was created 5775 years ago. This might sound silly to you,

No, it makes perfect sense. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I was under the impression that Intelligent design is the old watchmaker's argument.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2015, 03:25:56 PM

I was under the impression that Intelligent design is the old watchmaker's argument.

Prior to the US Courts wading into the fray, the big dvide among creationists was between "young earth creationists" and the rest. The young-earthers are those who take the Biblical timeline literally - that the Earth was created some 5,000 or so years ago, the whole bit. The others differ, but it is perfectly possible for (say) a creationist of the non-young-earth variety to not oppose evolution - just stating that god (say) ultimately created the universe and its laws, so as to end up with humanity ("theistic evolution"). God created evolution!  :D

The "watchmaker's argument" is that the observed complexity of life presumes a creator, and is consistent with most varieties of creationism.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."