Will science prove the existence of parallel universes!?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2015, 12:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2015, 01:22:35 PM
Quote from: sbr on March 26, 2015, 01:17:17 PM
Mono would be fine with Chinese people blocking roads then

:D

Yeah I was sort of channelling that, keep the roads open at all costs vs those people stopping to pick the banknotes off the highway in HK a few months back.

After I posted I realized I may have been giving away the joke.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Siege on March 26, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
If there are other universes, they will be nothing like ours beacuse of quantum dynamics and probabilities.

Some other universe probably got the Singularity...and we'll be left with the Duality.

Ideologue

If I read the article correctly, this is more like the idea of a constellation or population of universes, not parallel universes.  Though of course it is interesting in its own right, it's of no particular practical or philosophical consequence.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2015, 10:11:14 PM
If I read the article correctly, this is more like the idea of a constellation or population of universes, not parallel universes.  Though of course it is interesting in its own right, it's of no particular practical or philosophical consequence.

One significant implication is that it provides a scientific answer to the folks who want to believe in intelligent design.  Intelligent design proponents ask "why is the universe created so that it has just the right conditions for life?" and then suggest it cannot be random and that a higher power must have created it all.  If science can prove parallel universes with random properties exist then the existence of our universe is the product of one universe out of countless others being randomly created. 

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2015, 10:58:40 AM
One significant implication is that it provides a scientific answer to the folks who want to believe in intelligent design.

ABOUT TIME
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

One significant implication is that it provides a scientific answer to the folks who want to believe in intelligent design.  Intelligent design proponents ask "why is the universe created so that it has just the right conditions for life?" and then suggest it cannot be random and that a higher power must have created it all.  If science can prove parallel universes with random properties exist then the existence of our universe is the product of one universe out of countless others being randomly created.

The Best of all possible worlds.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2015, 11:15:20 AM

Exactly, no need to create a God for a universe that is created randomly.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2015, 11:18:19 AM

Are you threatened by this?  The idea of "Best of all possible worlds", predates quantum physics, it's really more of a theodicy thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

That's okay.  If CC gets too cocky after disproving Intelligent Design, we can always scare the piss out of him by talking about ocean acidification.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2015, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2015, 11:18:19 AM

Are you threatened by this?  The idea of "Best of all possible worlds", predates quantum physics, it's really more of a theodicy thing.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you understood the science.  :contract:

Razgovory

I did not extend the same privilege in a discussion about theology.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2015, 01:23:10 PM
I did not extend the same privilege in a discussion about theology.

And this is probably the way it will go.  Physics has reached a point that it is difficult for most people to understand and so the results will be easy to ignore.

viper37

If science can prove parallel universes with random properties exist then the existence of our universe is the product of one universe out of countless others being randomly created. 
Nonsense.  God created this to test our Faith.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.