Will science prove the existence of parallel universes!?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2015, 12:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Actually that has become the norm with theology as well.  Most people have a very poor grasp of it.  For instance, the concept of "intelligent design", is a philosophical idea that tends to get thrown in with "creationism" by the poorly informed who often characterized these two distinct concepts with the same phrase "GOD DID IT".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2015, 01:43:31 PM
Actually that has become the norm with theology as well.  Most people have a very poor grasp of it.  For instance, the concept of "intelligent design", is a philosophical idea that tends to get thrown in with "creationism" by the poorly informed who often characterized these two distinct concepts with the same phrase "GOD DID IT".

Wait so you are telling me poorly informed people are sometimes wrong about things they are poorly informed about? Fascinating.

I would be interested to hear what you regard as the distinctions, actually.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2015, 02:41:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2015, 01:43:31 PM

Wait so you are telling me poorly informed people are sometimes wrong about things they are poorly informed about? Fascinating.

I would be interested to hear what you regard as the distinctions, actually.

For one, ID doesn't reject evolution.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2015, 03:18:56 PM

Yes my understanding was that ID just took science as proof of God since only God could have designed the world so perfectly. Which is fine but since it does not really add or subtract anything current science, it sounded like a theological concept. Pretty harmless, I am not sure why it upsets people. But then I was interested to know what Raz thought since he seemed to feel strongly about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

I see where Raz is coming from.  I've seen quite a bit of Evangelical Atheists addressing Intelligent Design proponents as if they were evolution deniers.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 27, 2015, 03:24:42 PM
I see where Raz is coming from.  I've seen quite a bit of Evangelical Atheists addressing Intelligent Design proponents as if they were evolution deniers.

Some of these new Atheists types just indicate to me that, sadly, the problem is not religion (even super crazy ones) so much as people. I mean insular anti-theist cults? We are all doomed.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2015, 03:22:49 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2015, 03:18:56 PM

Yes my understanding was that ID just took science as proof of God since only God could have designed the world so perfectly. Which is fine but since it does not really add or subtract anything current science, it sounded like a theological concept. Pretty harmless, I am not sure why it upsets people. But then I was interested to know what Raz thought since he seemed to feel strongly about it.

It's not a scientific concept.  It's a philosophical one.  And Derspeiss is correct, many people conflate the two, even on this board.  Creationism attempts to rebut science, intelligent design does no such thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Quote from: The Brain on March 27, 2015, 04:57:31 PM
Intelligent Design is retarded, and retarded is enough.

That term is no longer PC, how about we use some other word? Some choices: stupid and moronic.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 27, 2015, 05:23:51 PM

That term is no longer PC, how about we use some other word? Some choices: stupid and moronic.

:mad: Speak for yourself.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

And to a person who belches predigested phrases like "Sky Fairies" at every opportunity, clear distinctions are meaningless.

Valmy

Raz is a true defender of the faith. Which faith I am not sure.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2015, 08:48:30 PM

And to a person who belches predigested phrases like "Sky Fairies" at every opportunity, clear distinctions are meaningless.

These days I normally use "Sky Santa", but I guess the distinction is lost on you people.