Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Doesn't necessarily mean he meant to do it maliciously.  Let's hope not at least.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2015, 06:57:52 AM
Doesn't necessarily mean he meant to do it maliciously.  Let's hope not at least.

What else could it mean?

Caliga

Who knows?  But if he intended to commit suicide I would have expected him to just disengage the autopilot and put the plane into a steep dive.

Maladict

BBC:
QuoteThe co-pilot of the Germanwings plane that crashed into the French Alps on Tuesday appeared to want to "destroy the plane", French prosecutors said.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Unless they have information that hasn't been released to the public yet, I don't know how 'French prosecutors' could suspect that already.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2015, 08:24:43 AM
Unless they have information that hasn't been released to the public yet, I don't know how 'French prosecutors' could suspect that already.

What they had in the story shows a pretty good reason for suspicion at least.

0 rows returned

Monoriu

This is the second time within 12-13 months.  Not much we can do about pilot murder suicides.  Unless all flights require 3 pilots in the cockpit. 

Liep

Quote from: Monoriu on March 26, 2015, 08:27:34 AM
This is the second time within 12-13 months.  Not much we can do about pilot murder suicides.  Unless all flights require 3 pilots in the cockpit. 

Wasn't too long ago that they did. But they absolutely can do something about suicidal pilots, nothing that's a 100% of course, but screening your safety personal is required everywhere in aviation I would hope.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Berkut

I would also think a simple change would be that no person should ever be alone in the cockpit on planes above a certain size. If a pilot wants to go tinkle, a stew needs to hang in the cockpit. Not a foolproof fix, but could certainly make it a lot harder for a single person to take down the plane.

Although if a pilot decides he is going to crash the plane, I am guessing he has a pretty good shot at it if he is alone or not.

0 rows returned

Liep

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2015, 08:24:33 PM
Some dude on CNN was saying that if a pilot leaves the cockpit, someone else from the flight crew is supposed to go in there in order to prevent situations like this.

Lufthansa guy says that only applies in the US not in Europe.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2015, 08:24:43 AM

Yes, the information that is on the Black box.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on March 26, 2015, 08:59:58 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2015, 08:24:33 PM
Some dude on CNN was saying that if a pilot leaves the cockpit, someone else from the flight crew is supposed to go in there in order to prevent situations like this.

Lufthansa guy says that only applies in the US not in Europe.

My guess is that there will be a bit of a re-think of that policy ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

From what I read, the only way for the pilot to be unable to enter the cockpit would've been to be intentionally locked out by the co-pilot.  In that case, it's pretty obvious why the French prosecutors already reached their conclusion:  there is simply no other remotely possible explanation.