Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Apparently pilot suicide is more common than some would think, but it invariable involve just the pilot in a small aircraft:

http://blog.al.com/wire/2014/03/pilot_suicide_blamed_for_8_us.html
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2015, 11:30:03 AM
Apparently pilot suicide is more common than some would think, but it invariable involve just the pilot in a small aircraft:

http://blog.al.com/wire/2014/03/pilot_suicide_blamed_for_8_us.html

Actually, the conclusion is that pilot suicide is very rare.

QuoteIf the crash was due to a crew member's suicide, it would be an exceedingly rare event. A National Transportation Safety Board study released last month shows eight of 2,758 fatal aviation accidents in the U.S. from 2003 to 2012 involved intentional crashes of the aircraft by a pilot or crew member

Zanza

And that's as out of a total of aviation accidents. If you take it out of a total of all flights, it must be like one in a million (or probably even less). 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on March 26, 2015, 11:44:51 AM
And that's as out of a total of aviation accidents. If you take it out of a total of all flights, it must be like one in a million (or probably even less).

:yes:

mongers

At any one time isn't there's somewhere like 6,000 to 10,000 airliners/aircraft in the skies worldwide, so that would suggest what several million multi-engined flights per year, so yes it is rare, just not sometime you'd want to happen on your flight.

I wonder how those figures compare with terrorist attacks or military action against civilian flights over a long timescale, say the last 40-50 years?

mongers

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2015, 11:58:25 AM

At any one time isn't there's somewhere like 6,000 to 10,000 airliners/aircraft in the skies worldwide, so that would suggest what several million multi-engined flights per year, so yes it is rare, just not sometime you'd want to happen on your flight.

That's a problem of perspective, needless to say. It is drastically more likely that you will die in your car, because some idiot overtakes when he shouldn't and smashes straight into you at high speed.

lustindarkness

If we lived afraid to die all the time, we would not live.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Do we have any information about the copilot's ethnicity/religion?  :ph34r:

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2015, 12:19:23 PM
Do we have any information about the copilot's ethnicity/religion?  :ph34r:
German/unknown

Had a depression/burn-out six years ago. Was never noticed in the regular screenings of pilots by the air safety authorities here.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2015, 11:15:20 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2015, 11:05:25 AM
You think the co-pilot killed a plan load of people over a labour dispute?

Why not? I regularly commit mass murder when I don't get a bonus.

It's a wonder I still have my job.  :D
you're Call of Duty kills don't count. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2015, 01:02:40 PM

For old time's sake - EU2 kills.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2015, 01:09:10 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2015, 01:02:40 PM

For old time's sake - EU2 kills.  :P

And all that killing was in the name of God which is very out of fashion in the west these days, so better keep it silent.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017