Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'm thinking now a bus is a city bus and a coach is an intercity bus.

Amiright mongers?  Amiright?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2015, 07:34:07 PM
I'm thinking now a bus is a city bus and a coach is an intercity bus.

Amiright mongers?  Amiright?

Broadly.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Now that tim has made it official I can finally get some sleep.

jimmy olsen

Jesus!  :cry:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32063587
QuotePassengers could be heard screaming just before the crash, he added.

I don't see how this can be true if the pilot was trying to break down the door, wouldn't that be obvious?

QuotePassengers were not aware of the impending crash "until the very last moment" when screams could be heard, Mr Robin said, adding that they died instantly.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2015, 12:37:05 AM
What if the lock malfunctioned?
It says he manually reprogrammed the autopilot to bring the plane from 38,000 feet to 100, the lowest level.

1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 27, 2015, 12:42:40 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2015, 12:37:05 AM
What if the lock malfunctioned?
It says he manually reprogrammed the autopilot to bring the plane from 38,000 feet to 100, the lowest level.

Maybe he thought he cleared the mountains.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

I may be tires (only slept 4 hours, ending a big transaction) but isnt't the "fatalities per km" metrics a bit misleading? I mean planes naturally are used to travel much longer distance so why the metrics may make planes look good, if you take into account fatalities per trip (flight, train ride etc.) planes stop looking so good. Or am I wrong?

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2015, 12:44:59 AM
I may be tires (only slept 4 hours, ending a big transaction) but isnt't the "fatalities per km" metrics a bit misleading? I mean planes naturally are used to travel much longer distance so why the metrics may make planes look good, if you take into account fatalities per trip (flight, train ride etc.) planes stop looking so good. Or am I wrong?

I think they can try no. of deaths per hour travelled on each transport mode.  Per trip isn't fair.  If A's daily commute takes 10 minutes and B's take 3 hours, of course B is far more likely to experience an accident along the way. 

The Brain

Maybe they should check pilots for crazy. Just a thought.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

All airlines should require that there should be at least two people in the cockpit at all times.  That should be effective immediately.  If you want to pee, you need to get someone to take your seat first.  Isn't 100% proof, but is better than nothing. 

PJL

Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2015, 12:44:59 AM

Yes, that's correct, and that's how insurance companies work out transportation risk, rather than the more widely used fatalities per mile.

Martinus

Plus, the risk on planes is much less linear than on other ways of transport - the take offs and landings are usually the most risky. So if you "commutted" by plane for 50 miles each day for 100 days you would have a much higher risk of dying than taking one 5000 mile trip.

Syt

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/geld/schadenersatzrecht-riesige-unterschiede-zwischen-tod-und-tod-1.2411262 (in German)

Germanwings will have to pay damages to the families of the victims. In case of mechanical failures there's a limit of 150,000. However, if the crash is caused by an "illegal act," then there's no limit. Funeral costs will be covered, naturally, but then things will diverge a lot. Biggest item will be the loss of income for the family. In case of a top manager this can be a lot, in case of a school child or baby not so much. Emotional damages are handled very restrictively by German law; 8000.- EUR is already considered very high. In 2007, a German court determined the emotional stress of someone dying of a heart attack and struggling 15-30 seconds to be worth 5,000.-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.