California only has about one year’s supply of water left

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2015, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 10, 2015, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2015, 04:18:11 AM
:bleeding:
There really needs to be a federal body to smash some heads together and reorder things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bureau_of_Reclamation

I don't know why you make these assumptions all the time, man.

What assumptions?
:unsure:
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

I was looking into the almond thing and apparently California produces 80% of them for the whole world.

But here's some other ones. For the US market, California produces:

-99 percent of the artichokes

-44 percent of asparagus

-two-thirds of carrots

-half of bell peppers

-89 percent of cauliflower

-94 percent of broccoli

-95 percent of celery

-90 percent of the leaf lettuce

-83 percent of Romaine lettuce

-83 percent of fresh spinach

-a third of the fresh tomatoes

-86 percent of lemons

-90 percent of avocados

-84 percent of peaches

-88 percent of fresh strawberries

-97 percent of fresh plums

People aren't going to stop eating, so obviously that production will be made up from other sources. The question is, where. Maybe Mexico's agricultural market can step up? Too bad Argentina is a basket case.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 16, 2015, 02:29:52 PM
I was looking into the almond thing and apparently California produces 80% of them for the whole world.

But here's some other ones. For the US market, California produces:

-99 percent of the artichokes

-44 percent of asparagus

-two-thirds of carrots

-half of bell peppers

-89 percent of cauliflower

-94 percent of broccoli

-95 percent of celery

-90 percent of the leaf lettuce

-83 percent of Romaine lettuce

-83 percent of fresh spinach

-a third of the fresh tomatoes

-86 percent of lemons

-90 percent of avocados

-84 percent of peaches

-88 percent of fresh strawberries

-97 percent of fresh plums

People aren't going to stop eating, so obviously that production will be made up from other sources. The question is, where. Maybe Mexico's agricultural market can step up? Too bad Argentina is a basket case.

Bolded are the foods that will be outlawed once my militia takes over during the Water Wars.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

You want people to be stick thin, yet you'd outlaw lettuce and broccoli?  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Are those percentages of domestic production or of total consumption Mimsy?

Ideologue

I'd also outlaw meat farming.*  It'd even out.

*In all seriousness, the amount of water and resources that goes into cattle farming, and the ecological damage that results, is insane.  Humans are already too many, representing the second largest vertebrate species by biomass on this planet.  The very largest is cattle, a methane-blasting human instrumentality.  It's too much.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

An Earth that we expect or wish to support a middle class existence for all.
Kinemalogue

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2015, 02:38:24 PM
Are those percentages of domestic production or of total consumption Mimsy?

The big list is for the US market only. 80% of the almonds for the whole world though. I didn't look up walnuts but it's probably significant too.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2011/09/california-agriculture-too-productive-our-own-good
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 16, 2015, 02:56:47 PM
The big list is for the US market only. 80% of the almonds for the whole world though. I didn't look up walnuts but it's probably significant too.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2011/09/california-agriculture-too-productive-our-own-good

They seem to jump back and forth between US consumption and US production.

Not surprised Mother Jones is puzzled by a concept like this.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 16, 2015, 02:53:06 PM

Why would we expect or wish for that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

How about "an Earth that can maintain our current technological civilization where your well-honed tertiary economy skills aren't useless"?  Does that motivate you?
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

There's probably a lot of underutilized farmland in the deep south.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on May 16, 2015, 02:53:06 PM

Being able to eat thick, juicy steaks is a fundamental part of a decent middle class existence.