California only has about one year’s supply of water left

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2015, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2016, 07:18:13 PM
Red Lobster's Air Force. Those are Cheddar Biscuits.

Yet another time I wish Languish had a "like/upvote" system.  I lol'ed.
Experience bij!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Sure, I know you've never had their endless shrimp...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Shrimp is awesome. Not quite as awesome as pig though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Aaaaaaand now for something completely different.

Water levels are now excessive, we've had rain and/or snow non-stop all winter, flooding in all the Sierra rivers, and now the dam at Lake Oroville is failing.

Live stream.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2017, 05:01:51 PM
Aaaaaaand now for something completely different.

Water levels are now excessive, we've had rain and/or snow non-stop all winter, flooding in all the Sierra rivers, and now the dam at Lake Oroville is failing.

Live stream.

I read that though the drought is over, most places in Southern California will likely stick to rationing as the aquifers still need time to build themselves back up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2017, 05:12:16 PM
I read that though the drought is over, most places in Southern California will likely stick to rationing as the aquifers still need time to build themselves back up.

Yeah, makes sense.  They've adopted some year round restrictions regardless of the water level in the aquifer here too. 

garbon

Damn. Now a major storm pummelling Southern California with rain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

I haven't returned to Grant Lake or anything, so no pics from me. But it's been horribly wet and even my many trips to Utah were mostly green instead of the nice clean brown of the usual great basin.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

It's difficult to see how a statement predicated on incorrect predictions could be true.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2017, 06:10:48 PM
It's difficult to see how a statement predicated on incorrect predictions could be true.

Quote from: from the first post in the threadCalifornia only has about one year's supply of water left in its reservoirs, said Jay Famiglietti.

The senior water scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory/Caltech, wrote that the state has only about one year of water supply left in its reservoirs, in commentary published in the Los Angeles Times Thursday.

Citing NASA data, Famiglietti said that water storage has been declining steadily since 2002, the year that NASA began monitoring the state's water supply with satellites. He noted that groundwater supplies have been shrinking since the 20th century.

About half of the state's land area is experiencing "exceptional drought" conditions, according to the U.S. drought monitor, as a vicious drought enters its third year.

No predictions, just a statement of facts as they were at the time of writing - namely:

1) The reservoirs - at that time - held only enough water for one year's supply.
2) Water storage had been declining steadily since 2002, with groundwater supplies shrinking since the 20th century.
3) Half the state's land area was - at that time - experiencing "exceptional drought" conditions for a third year running.

None of those were predictions, nor were they predicated on "incorrect predictions". They were statements of fact that were true at the time, just as Timmy says.

That doesn't seem too difficult to me.