California only has about one year’s supply of water left

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2015, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2015, 08:59:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2015, 08:53:58 AM
In my dad girlfriend's house, all the meters are facing a concrete wall, mere inches away. All impossible to read. (3 meters in the house, same city)

Again, as cal noted, meters aren't "read" any more.  They are accessed wirelessly.

Not meters installed in 1979.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2015, 07:43:09 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2015, 10:16:16 PM
Bleed the Agripigs!  :menace:

Exactly. Fuck the farmers; all they do is raise overpriced subsidized food.  Who needs that? :contract:

Fixed your post.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

How is it overpriced? Our food production is pretty efficient. I mean assuming we are not talking about cage free organic goodness and light stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2015, 11:50:26 AM
:hmm:

In NYC, a person from ConEdison would come weekly to each individual apartment, wanting access so that they could read the meter (electric).  Mind you, not a water meter as I've actually never before now had to pay that directly.

Those guys weren't from ConEdison.  :ph34r:

You are lucky you didn't have anything worth stealing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2015, 01:06:08 PM
How is it overpriced? Our food production is pretty efficient. I mean assuming we are not talking about cage free organic goodness and light stuff.

There are price floors and subsidies to reduce surplus.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2015, 01:06:08 PM

Are you really challenging an argument by assertion?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

You really need to get over me.  We aren't going to fuck, it just ain't happening.

Valmy

I thought the price floors were mainly for grain and wheat products are not exactly known for their expense.

But I could be wrong. Any food products actually being charged at those floors? Transportation and so forth usually make up a large portion of the cost anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2015, 02:44:34 PM
I thought the price floors were mainly for grain and wheat products are not exactly known for their expense.

But I could be wrong. Any food products actually being charged at those floors? Transportation and so forth usually make up a large portion of the cost anyway.

I don't know enough about the history of crop prices to say if the prices every hit that floor., I do know these laws exist along with subsidies to not plant crops.  These policies exist to keep farmers in business, who would otherwise be forced out do to low prices.  Or at least that's the logic of the laws.

Admiral Yi

I thought the acreage restrictions got eliminated a couple Agriculture Bills ago.

jimmy olsen

Exactly. Fuck the farmers; all they do is raise food.  Who needs that? :contract:
They can choose to grow something other than almonds, that doesn't suck up so much water.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2015, 04:26:04 PM
I thought the acreage restrictions got eliminated a couple Agriculture Bills ago.

I think the legal requirement to set aside acreage disappeared but I don't know if the subsidy did.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2015, 05:02:05 PM

Exactly. Fuck the farmers; all they do is raise food.  Who needs that? :contract:
They can choose to grow something other than almonds, that doesn't suck up so much water.

Almonds are one of the lamest nuts anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points