News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is English an easy language to learn?

Started by Razgovory, March 15, 2015, 11:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 08:42:51 AM
I've always thought that the American "r" (as distinct from the English r) is not a very easy sound to pronounce for someone not born to it.

Thoughts?
how is it distinct?

I think the most difficult thing is that "th" sound.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2015, 03:43:56 PM
I've always thought that the American "r" (as distinct from the English r) is not a very easy sound to pronounce for someone not born to it.

Thoughts?
how is it distinct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_and_non-rhotic_accents
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2015, 03:41:24 PM
I have been wondering with this myself. I want to learn another language, and initially I went with German since I like their literature a lot, etc... until I realized I'm not likely to ever use German in any practical situation. So all the effort felt a bit like a waste.

Problem is that I can't think of any language that I'm likely to "need" or get exposed to besides the ones I already know (Spanish, Catalan, English); unless I order a Russian bride.

Yeah, I was looking into learning German but what's the point?  All the Germans can speak English.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

how is it distinct?

Not sure it's all that distinct.  But you do have to contort your tongue and throat to pronounce it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 03:42:43 PM
I have been wondering with this myself. I want to learn another language, and initially I went with German since I like their literature a lot, etc... until I realized I'm not likely to ever use German in any practical situation. So all the effort felt a bit like a waste.

Problem is that I can't think of any language that I'm likely to "need" or get exposed to besides the ones I already know (Spanish, Catalan, English); unless I order a Russian bride.

If you learn Arabic it will give you an advantage in the coming Caliphate.

From the recent events in Iraq it seems to be a going Caliphate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2015, 03:46:11 PM
From the recent events in Iraq it seems to be a going Caliphate.

Not in Spain.

viper37

the Russian bride is a good idea, you'll likely save on the purchase price ;)

Portuguese, maybe?  It's close to Spanish, Portugal is close to Spain and if you ever want to visit Brazil, Mozambique or East Timor.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2015, 03:45:05 PM

Thoughts?
how is it distinct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_and_non-rhotic_accents
That explains why the Brisith pronounce Iron with a silent 'r'.  I-on Maiden, I-on islands.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2015, 03:47:09 PM

the Russian bride is a good idea, you'll likely save on the purchase price ;)

Portuguese, maybe?  It's close to Spanish, Portugal is close to Spain and if you ever want to visit Brazil, Mozambique or East Timor.

The only remotely useful language to me would be French (we work with a lot of French people in my industry). However I already speak two romance languages; seems overkill.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2015, 03:42:43 PM
If you learn Arabic it will give you an advantage in the coming Caliphate.

I toyed with learning Arabic several years ago after reading that translators in Iraq were making six figures.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2015, 03:54:56 PM
The only remotely useful language to me would be French (we work with a lot of French people in my industry). However I already speak two romance languages; seems overkill.
French is never overkill.   ;)

celedhring

I also have French ancestry (yuck), hell, my mother still sort of speaks it.

derspiess

German is easier for me to read & write (and to listen to, to some extent) than it is to speak.  I have to rehearse something a few times to speak it correctly and even then I might get it wrong.  I get angrily jealous whenever I hear little German kids speaking it perfectly without effort :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The craziest thing about traveling in Europe is listening to all the little kids speak foreign languages so well.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████