News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is English an easy language to learn?

Started by Razgovory, March 15, 2015, 11:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Camerus on March 16, 2015, 05:26:20 PMPersonally what I find difficult are the large number of similar sounding verbs but with different prefixes that change the meaning. 

I hadn't thought of that.

rinnen = to trickle/to flow
gerinnen = to clot/to curdle/to coagulate
entrinnen = to escape
Zeit verrinnt = time is running out

greifen = to grab/to grasp (physically)
begreifen = to understand/to grasp (mentally)

Yeah, I can see how that can be confusing.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I love that from German myself. The Kompositums and verbs with prefixes feel like a mathematical formula sometimes.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 05:36:35 PM
Quote from: Camerus on March 16, 2015, 05:26:20 PM
French - Relatively easy vocabulary for an English speaker, but tricky pronunciation and certain elements of grammar. Oral language is much harder than written language.  If I were, say, a Chinese speaker learning French or English, I imagine I would find French the more difficult of the two.

Huh.  Weird I thought the oral version was much easier, the wacky spelling does not come into play.

You're not the only one. Written French with its literary tenses, tense agreement (same as in Castilian and Portuguese actually) even scares lots of native speakers.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 04:24:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2015, 04:10:05 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2015, 03:54:56 PM
The only remotely useful language to me would be French (we work with a lot of French people in my industry). However I already speak two romance languages; seems overkill.
French is never overkill.   ;)

I can figure out a lot of written French based on what I know of Spanish.  It's like a more elegant form of Spanish.  Italian seems like a "cooler" version of Spanish, while Portuguese is just wacky and not nearly as similar to Spanish as I would have thought.

Portuguese is still the closest to Castilian in terms of vocabulary unless you are talking of Asturleonese. Much more vowels in Portuguese though, which is actually a plus when learning foreign languages. The pentavocalist system in Castilian is more like a hindrance when learning languages.

Syt

Something that always confused me about French was whether an adjective goes before or after a noun.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2015, 12:32:14 AM
Quote from: Camerus on March 16, 2015, 05:26:20 PMPersonally what I find difficult are the large number of similar sounding verbs but with different prefixes that change the meaning. 

entrinnen = to escape

raten, abraten, beraten, zuraten, anraten, verraten, bevorraten, braten... ;)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2015, 06:25:59 AM
Something that always confused me about French was whether an adjective goes before or after a noun.

Both, depending on the meaning. Usually after, as in more neutral. Before the noun is more like poetry or some idiom.

Archy

Quote from: Zanza on March 17, 2015, 07:03:58 AM

entrinnen = to escape

raden, afraden, beraden, aanraden, verraden, bevoorraden, braden we can alos to this silliness  :P

For us Flemish English is easy to learn a lot of it is around day to day. we use subtitles on tv.
Seeing that German and Dutch share the same Dialectcontinuum, most of the basic stuff is understandable for Dutch speakers.
I even once was asked in a café in Trier by and Anglophone which kind of German we spoke (Schwyzerdeutsch, ...).

DontSayBanana

German was extremely easy for me, but I got to skip the trouble most Americans have with the phonetics- switching accents has always come naturally to me, so I didn't have the trouble with ä, ö, or ü that Americans typically have, or the vowel + consonant + ch construction (like in mädchen or brötchen).
Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: Archy on March 17, 2015, 07:29:47 AM

entrinnen = to escape

raden, afraden, beraden, aanraden, verraden, bevoorraden, braden we can alos to this silliness  :P

For us Flemish English is easy to learn a lot of it is around day to day. we use subtitles on tv.
Seeing that German and Dutch share the same Dialectcontinuum, most of the basic stuff is understandable for Dutch speakers.
I even once was asked in a café in Trier by and Anglophone which kind of German we spoke (Schwyzerdeutsch, ...).

Similar with Dutch for Germans. Most of the time I can guess what's being talked about, and more so in writing. Similar but to a lesser extent with Swedish or Norwegian. Not so much with Danish for some reason.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

I just had a sudden urge to run off into the forest.  :blush:

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 17, 2015, 06:17:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2015, 04:24:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2015, 04:10:05 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2015, 03:54:56 PM
The only remotely useful language to me would be French (we work with a lot of French people in my industry). However I already speak two romance languages; seems overkill.
French is never overkill.   ;)

I can figure out a lot of written French based on what I know of Spanish.  It's like a more elegant form of Spanish.  Italian seems like a "cooler" version of Spanish, while Portuguese is just wacky and not nearly as similar to Spanish as I would have thought.

Portuguese is still the closest to Castilian in terms of vocabulary unless you are talking of Asturleonese. Much more vowels in Portuguese though, which is actually a plus when learning foreign languages. The pentavocalist system in Castilian is more like a hindrance when learning languages.

Yeah, fortunately I'm Catalan and I have eight vowels. When I want to annoy Spaniards I exaggerate my accent by using them when speaking Spanish  :lol:

derspiess

Yeah, but the problem is I somehow managed to convince myself that it was a lot more similar to Castilian than it actually is before I bothered to explore it.  Plus I kept hitting a couple annoying mental blocks when I took an online introductory Portuguese course. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 11:23:36 AM

Yeah, but the problem is I somehow managed to convince myself that it was a lot more similar to Castilian than it actually is before I bothered to explore it.  Plus I kept hitting a couple annoying mental blocks when I took an online introductory Portuguese course.

Did you achieve Portuñol proficiency? Should be doable with your Argentinian connections.