News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Lee Kwan Yew Memory?

Started by derspiess, March 23, 2015, 10:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

As we mark the passing of the founding father of modern Singapore, what is your favorite memory of the man?

For me, it would have to be his experimentation with water recycling in 1974.  Sure, the water treatment plant was closed in 1975 due to reliability issues, but it laid the groundwork for the Singapore Water Reclamation Study that was to come some 23 years later.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

The anti-bubble gum laws. As somebody who hates bubble gum chewing, I had to admire that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

That guy who got caned for scratching cars.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 23, 2015, 11:09:50 AM

Ah yeah I remember that. Surprisingly a big controversy at the time but we had less things in the news to outrage us in the 1990s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 23, 2015, 11:09:50 AM

Heh, false memory time: I thought he was caned for chewing gum!

Then I looked it up.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Norgy

My favourite memory is him being dead as a dodo.

Monoriu

QuoteYes, Hong Kong deserves democracy.  But in the world as it is, we do not always get what we deserve. 

QuoteThere is no need for Hong Kong to challenge the PRC politically.

Spoken by Lee when Chris Patten, then governor of HK, was sitting next to him and was embroiled in a huge fight with Beijing over democratisation of Hong Kong.  All Chris Patten's reforms were undone within the first hour of the handover. 

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2015, 10:54:32 AM
As we mark the passing of the founding father of modern Singapore, what is your favorite memory of the man?

For me, it would have to be his experimentation with water recycling in 1974.  Sure, the water treatment plant was closed in 1975 due to reliability issues, but it laid the groundwork for the Singapore Water Reclamation Study that was to come some 23 years later.
:lol:

MadImmortalMan

There is no need for Hong Kong to challenge the PRC politically.

Not past Boundary Street, anyway.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers