News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

France objects to Waterloo euro coin

Started by Archy, March 12, 2015, 09:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archy

QuoteA new design for a €2 coin featuring a map of a European battle is proving divisive in Brussels.

The design shows an image of the Lion Hill memorial at Waterloo, near Brussels. It was submitted by Belgium to commemorate the battle fought there on 18 June 1815.

But one member of the European Union thinks it is in rather poor taste.

In a letter of objection, the French government argues the design contains a "negative" symbol for some Europeans.

The letter contends that the Battle of Waterloo, in which Napoleon was defeated, is an event with particular resonance in the European collective memory and goes beyond being just an instance of military conflict.

The coins could prompt an unfavourable reaction in France, the letter warns, at just the time that eurozone governments are trying to strengthen unity and co-operation.

'Fuss in Paris'
Not everyone agrees that Waterloo is laden with so much meaning in the 21st Century, reports the BBC's Chris Morris in Brussels.

One diplomat expressed surprise that "two centuries later a proposal for some loose change with an image of a hill on it can cause such a fuss in Paris," our correspondent adds.

Belgium must now decide whether it is willing to withdraw or amend the design.

If it chooses to stick with it as it is, there will be a majority vote among members of the eurozone on whether the new coin should be minted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31841421

How long till France surrenders to belgium :nelson:

Valmy

Quote from: Archy on March 12, 2015, 09:17:25 AM
How long till France surrenders to belgium :nelson:

Whatever.  Belgium surrendered first.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

By all means, celebrate monarchist absolutism.  What's next, Council Of Vienna finger cookies?  A McMetternich with Cheese?

Duque de Bragança

French press did not mention it  :tinfoil:
Too busy celebrating PSG qualification for the Champions' League quarter finals  :frog:

PS: lemonde.fr mentioned it eventually at 20.00 CET

Ed Anger

I'll take a Davout, hold the Bernadotte sauce.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2015, 09:27:17 AM
By all means, celebrate monarchist absolutism.  What's next, Council Of Vienna finger cookies?  A McMetternich with Cheese?

A celebration of Prussian militarism, Dutch domination, and the largest EU economy not in the Eurozone, perhaps? :hmm:

Oh wait, that's what they are doing.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Brain

I don't follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

By all means, celebrate monarchist absolutism.

The only absolute things about George IV were his gluttony and dissolution.
Louis XVIII was another whose ambitions did not extend very far past his ample dinner table.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 01:11:36 PM
Louis XVIII was another whose ambitions did not extend very far past his ample dinner table.

Well beyond his treasonous stirring up of counter-revolution in exile :angry:

Of course he would almost certainly have been executed if he had stayed but still.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Germany needs to do a 1940 commemorative design with that French dude crying.  Then Belgium's won't look so bad.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2015, 03:10:49 PM
Germany needs to do a 1940 commemorative design with that French dude crying.  Then Belgium's won't look so bad.

I think France should do an annexation of Belgium commemorative.  Then an 1806 occupation of Berlin one.

Hell once this dam breaks the trolling commemorative coins might never end.

Barrister

But Belgium didn't actually fight (or even exist) during Waterloo.  They're just commemorating the fact a battle was fought, not who won or lost.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2015, 01:14:07 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 01:11:36 PM

Well beyond his treasonous stirring up of counter-revolution in exile :angry:

Of course he would almost certainly have been executed if he had stayed but still.

How is one treasonous against oneself?   :hmm: :royalist:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Shouldn't Sweden be the one commemorating Waterloo?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2015, 03:17:48 PM
I think France should do an annexation of Belgium commemorative.  Then an 1806 occupation of Berlin one.

A post-WWI Rhineland Occupation one would probably be good-- maybe one featuring a Rheinlandbastard.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall