News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Russian Rewrite of History

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2009, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

QuoteHitler also offered Poland a secret alliance against the Soviet Union when he made his demands

Whoooooooaaa, never heard of this before!
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DGuller

I bet it's nice to be a historian in Russia.  Job security and room for innovation/creativity must be the best of any fields.

Faeelin

Quote from: Alcibiades on June 18, 2009, 10:11:23 AM
QuoteHitler also offered Poland a secret alliance against the Soviet Union when he made his demands

Whoooooooaaa, never heard of this before!

I dunno if Hitler did it, but I think Goering talked about this at one point when visiting Poland.

Martinus

Yeah, that actually is pretty common knowledge here. I guess Poland believed itself secure in the alliance with the British and the French.

LOL: Strategy fail? :D

grumbler

Quote from: Palisadoes on June 18, 2009, 08:14:40 AM
The Polish government was dominated by the military. For this reason they overestimated themselves and thought they were "one of the big boys" and could stand up against Germany and win. They did allow for war in some respects, but it is hardly their fault for wanting to hold on to their lands.
Remember that they were anticipating a re-run of WW1, and were prepared to fight it successfully (given eventually support from France and Britain).  Poland's decision to fight was not as insane as hindsight would have us believe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on June 18, 2009, 08:25:11 AM
There was also a territorial dispute with Czechoslovakia, ranging back to 1918, concerning the ownership of the land Poland captured.
And the Czechs were not as nice a set of neighbors as their wartime and postwar propoganda would have us all believe.  "Democratic" Czechoslovakia was very much dominated by the Chech minority.  That is why Slovakia broke away as soon as it could, and the Sudetan Germans had sympathy from many in Europe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2009, 10:14:11 AM
I bet it's nice to be a historian in Russia.  Job security and room for innovation/creativity must be the best of any fields.

Except when it's the time for the next round of revisions and you are denounced and sent to the gulag.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2009, 08:05:05 PM
Except when it's the time for the next round of revisions and you are denounced and sent to the gulag.
The key is to be the first to denounce.

Bayraktar!

Ancient Demon

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2009, 07:57:09 PM
Remember that they were anticipating a re-run of WW1, and were prepared to fight it successfully (given eventually support from France and Britain).  Poland's decision to fight was not as insane as hindsight would have us believe.

Indeed. Also, Poland was not a weak country like many people believe. Surely they were defeated swiftly when the war broke out, but no moreso than France who was widely believed to have the most powerful army in the world at that time.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Neil

Quote from: Ancient Demon on June 18, 2009, 09:17:21 PM

Indeed. Also, Poland was not a weak country like many people believe. Surely they were defeated swiftly when the war broke out, but no moreso than France who was widely believed to have the most powerful army in the world at that time.
In retrospect, you have to wonder why.  I mean, France has no military achievements since Napoleon died.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 18, 2009, 09:26:47 PM

In retrospect, you have to wonder why.  I mean, France has no military achievements since Napoleon died.
They fought well in WWI.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Alatriste

Crimea? Magenta? Solferino? Le Marne? Verdun?

Now, if you say France's performance on the battlefield was always extreme, either superb or abysmal, I will have to agree...

Warspite

They were also the first to march into Paris in August 1945. That was some achievement.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 18, 2009, 10:07:34 PM

They fought well in WWI.
Not at all.  WWI was entirely a British victory.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 07:30:33 AM
Not at all.  WWI was entirely a British victory.
Dreadnoughts, ftw.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM