News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Russian Rewrite of History

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2009, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Warspite on June 19, 2009, 06:39:33 AM
They were also the first to march into Paris in August 1945. That was some achievement.

Kinda late on that one weren't they?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 18, 2009, 09:26:47 PM
In retrospect, you have to wonder why.  I mean, France has no military achievements since Napoleon died.

The Crimean War?  The Austro-French war of 1859?  World War I?  Conquering a huge colonial empire?

Besides the Franco-Prussian War (where they mostly lost due to Prussian know-how, sheer numbers, and leadership blunders than the lack of fighting prowess of their soldiers) they had done pretty well.

But even if you ignore that you have the whole history of Britain never losing a European war going.  That had to give the Poles some confidence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Alatriste on June 19, 2009, 06:27:49 AM
Crimea? Magenta? Solferino? Le Marne? Verdun?

Now, if you say France's performance on the battlefield was always extreme, either superb or abysmal, I will have to agree...

They are the military version of the Spanish national soccer team.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2009, 08:59:27 AM
In retrospect, you have to wonder why.  I mean, France has no military achievements since Napoleon died.

The Crimean War?
British.
QuoteThe Austro-French war of 1859?
Beating up the Austrians is a big achievement?
QuoteWorld War I?
Their soldiers gave up, and left the British Empire to win the war alone.
QuoteConquering a huge colonial empire?
Mowing down spearchuckers with Maxim guns is not an achievement.
QuoteBesides the Franco-Prussian War (where they mostly lost due to Prussian know-how, sheer numbers, and leadership blunders than the lack of fighting prowess of their soldiers) they had done pretty well.
Ah yes, the old 'lions led by asses' myth that comes up every time someone doesn't do as well as they expected in a war.  :lol:
QuoteBut even if you ignore that you have the whole history of Britain never losing a European war going.  That had to give the Poles some confidence.
Britain never lost a war, but look what happened to their allies.  Prussia was overrun in the Napoleonic wars and was only saved in the Seven Years War by Frederick the Great.  Portugal became a backwater hellhole for centuries, as did Greece.  Russia was destroyed by WWI, and France was forever finished as a Great Power.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 09:38:27 AM
Ah yes, the old 'lions led by asses' myth that comes up every time someone doesn't do as well as they expected in a war.  :lol:

Um...I think it is fairly obvious that the officers didn't put the French Army in the best position at times during that war.  But even if they had the sheer lunacy of the situation, outnumbered by the Prussians and their allies about 3 to 1 or more, meant that defeat was all but certain.

QuoteTheir soldiers gave up, and left the British Empire to win the war alone.

Ok you are either smoking crack or a Jaron/FB level Troll.  This is what I get for talking history with retards.

Seriously you are smarter than this why act like an idiot?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: PDH on June 19, 2009, 08:48:13 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 07:30:33 AM
Not at all.  WWI was entirely a British victory.
Dreadnoughts, ftw.
Yes.  And the battlecruisers. Don't forget the battlecruisers.
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2009, 09:51:38 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 09:38:27 AM

Um...I think it is fairly obvious that the officers didn't put the French Army in the best position at times during that war.  But even if they had the sheer lunacy of the situation, outnumbered by the Prussians and their allies about 3 to 1 or more, meant that defeat was all but certain.
Now, now.  The overall fighting strengths weren't really that far apart, although the French weren't that effective at mobilizing their forces.  Really, I can't argue that the quality of regular troops wasn't that far off, the Prussian veterans of Sadowa and the French veterans of Italy balancing out.  However, when it came to the Landwehr against the Garde Mobile, that was when the differences became enormous.

Besides, the tendency to foist blame for any defeat onto the officer corps and leadership is an annoying trait, especially in a constitutional monarchy like France.  The French lost the Franco-Prussian War just as much because of political decisions made by the legislature.
QuoteTheir soldiers gave up, and left the British Empire to win the war alone.

Ok you are either smoking crack or a Jaron/FB level Troll.  This is what I get for talking history with retards.

Seriously you are smarter than this why act like an idiot?
Two reasons.  One:  Because there is noone to have an in-depth discussion with.  Two:  Because I find the French cult of the nation to be irritating.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 07:30:33 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 18, 2009, 10:07:34 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on June 18, 2009, 09:17:21 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2009, 07:57:09 PM
Remember that they were anticipating a re-run of WW1, and were prepared to fight it successfully (given eventually support from France and Britain).  Poland's decision to fight was not as insane as hindsight would have us believe.

Indeed. Also, Poland was not a weak country like many people believe. Surely they were defeated swiftly when the war broke out, but no moreso than France who was widely believed to have the most powerful army in the world at that time.
They fought well in WWI.
Not at all.  WWI was entirely a British victory.

pfft. I'd include the other confederation countries that fought. Specifically Canada. :canuck:

But in fact Nobody "won" WWI ... It went on too long and they had to stop so that all the nations could spend 20 years growing new young men to die in part 2.
:p

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 19, 2009, 11:28:06 AM
pfft. I'd include the other confederation countries that fought. Specifically Canada. :canuck:
The British Empire.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 11:43:10 AM
The British Empire.

Has the British empire ever won a war against a civilized people?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2009, 11:52:55 AM
The British Empire.

The Germans.  The French.  If you consider the Americans civilized, they beat them too.  The German-governed Russians.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 11:54:59 AM
The British Empire.

The Germans.  The French.  If you consider the Americans civilized, they beat them too.  The German-governed Russians.

As civilized as the British?

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2009, 11:58:30 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 11:54:59 AM
The British Empire.

As civilized as the British?
The Germans.  The French.

Sophie Scholl

But in fact Nobody "won" WWI ... It went on too long and they had to stop so that all the nations could spend 20 years growing new young men to die in part 2.

You could a case that the United States "won" the war.  They went from after thought in the global scene compared to the elite European players to damn near top dog due to their now massive skilled labor advantage and their new found financial and military power.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."