Why Our Children Don’t Think There Are Moral Facts

Started by jimmy olsen, March 03, 2015, 01:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on March 04, 2015, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:52:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 10:51:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
Well I don't think you need to care about teachers not teaching that education is good since that would put them out of work. :P

So they will somehow teach kids how to deconstruct prejudices but only keeping them squarely focused on their parents?  Dude we have a hard enough time teaching them basic math.

I believe there was a period of time when I was a child that I would rigidly follow that teachers told me and call my parents out if they tried to tell me something that ran counter to what my teachers said. :Embarrass:

Every. One. Of. My. Children.  <_<

+ all of languish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 02:38:04 PM

:console:

Damn I hadn't considered this problem before.

Wait until the teacher gives your child her opinion as fact, and then you have to explain the difference between facts and opinions. But of course, you're an idiot and the kid's teacher knows everything. After all, she's a TEACHER and you're just MOM.  :rolleyes:

Oh, those were fun days....
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 10:58:39 AM
Seriously though - I think the task of a good teacher is in part to teach critical thinking skills that can be applied to just about any situation going forward. Then it is up to the kid whether he or she finds flaws in parental or societal attitudes, or not.

But when they try to do that, parents whine and bitch about how schools don't teach kids "simple" ways of solving problems that are OBVIOUSLY the best way, and why can't they just learn the way we learned????
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 04, 2015, 03:48:31 PM
But when they try to do that, parents whine and bitch about how schools don't teach kids "simple" ways of solving problems that are OBVIOUSLY the best way, and why can't they just learn the way we learned????

Well, the concept that there are multiple ways to teach things and that different kids learn differently is just an opinion, so don't try to present it as a fact.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:52:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 10:51:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
Well I don't think you need to care about teachers not teaching that education is good since that would put them out of work. :P

So they will somehow teach kids how to deconstruct prejudices but only keeping them squarely focused on their parents?  Dude we have a hard enough time teaching them basic math.

I believe there was a period of time when I was a child that I would rigidly follow that teachers told me and call my parents out if they tried to tell me something that ran counter to what my teachers said. :Embarrass:

Don't think I ever went through that phase.  Possibly because I had already figured out that my mom was far from infallible before I ever started school, and I realized on the first day of school that my first grade teacher was a bitch (I don't think I even knew that term yet, but I recognized the personality traits).

garbon

Quote from: dps on March 04, 2015, 07:45:23 PM
I realized on the first day of school that my first grade teacher was a bitch (I don't think I even knew that term yet, but I recognized the personality traits).

My first grade teacher (which is when I believe this happened) was definitely a bitch but then I've never had a problem with bitches. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus