Why Our Children Don’t Think There Are Moral Facts

Started by jimmy olsen, March 03, 2015, 01:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2015, 10:59:19 AM
Well, Stalin wasn't exactly the model parent.  I don't think we have to create plans that work with him.

But he taught his daughter to deconstruct his prejudices!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2015, 10:59:19 AM
Well, Stalin wasn't exactly the model parent.  I don't think we have to create plans that work with him.

A five year old gets a Five Year Plan.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 03, 2015, 09:57:27 PM
I think the real crux of the problem is that--

QuoteJustin P. McBrayer is an associate professor of philosophy at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colo. He works in ethics and philosophy of religion.

--and the possibility of any concept even remotely related to religion--from which "moral facts" originate--absolutely chafes to no end a board like Languish, which is overpopulated by an inordinate number of obnoxiously snot-nosed and cynical atheists, lawyers and Europeans.

You think wrong.
Because McBrayer's odd screed does not object from the standpoint of the philosophy of religion.  He is quibbling with, and manipulating, definitions.

Tell you what - if you can explain what McBrayer's argument is, I will be open to reconsidering my view.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 10:54:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:52:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 10:51:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
Well I don't think you need to care about teachers not teaching that education is good since that would put them out of work. :P

So they will somehow teach kids how to deconstruct prejudices but only keeping them squarely focused on their parents?  Dude we have a hard enough time teaching them basic math.

I believe there was a period of time when I was a child that I would rigidly follow that teachers told me and call my parents out if they tried to tell me something that ran counter to what my teachers said. :Embarrass:

The good folks at Stalin Memorial Academy were so proud.  ;)

garbon would be the new Pavlik Morozov. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlik_Morozov

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 11:45:28 AM

:lol:

On a serious note, my mom-in-law actually remembers being given candy (and told there would be more if a kid informed on his or her parents) by teachers in pre-war Ukraine.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 11:52:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 11:45:28 AM

:lol:

On a serious note, my mom-in-law actually remembers being given candy (and told there would be more if a kid informed on his or her parents) by teachers in pre-war Ukraine.

See, that's what I call good education. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 11:58:09 AM

I don't get this.  You seem to like your parents yet seem to hate parents so much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 12:00:30 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 11:58:09 AM

I don't get this.  You seem to like your parents yet seem to hate parents so much.

I think parents are the main obstacle to society progressing.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 12:02:21 PM

They certainly stopped the Soviets from completely destroying Polish society.  Do you wish you had been made a good Russian by the People's Revolutionary Creche? :P

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 12:15:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 12:02:21 PM

They certainly stopped the Soviets from completely destroying Polish society.  Do you wish you had been made a good Russian by the People's Revolutionary Creche? :P

Well, Soviets were Russians, so no. That being said, I regret Germans did not properly Germanise us under Bismarck. We would have been progressive atheists, like Czechs, by now rather than backward Catholics.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 12:21:31 PM
Well, Soviets were Russians, so no. That being said, I regret Germans did not properly Germanise us under Bismarck. We would have been progressive atheists, like Czechs, by now rather than backward Catholics.

The Czechs did not become that way because of the Habsburgs efficient Germanisation program.  They seem to have had this sort of thing going on since Jan Hus.  Not sure why.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 12:21:31 PM

The Czechs did not become that way because of the Habsburgs efficient Germanisation program.  They seem to have had this sort of thing going on since Jan Hus.  Not sure why.

Still, one can hope. The only good thing about being Polish is that one is not Russian. :P

Razgovory

Actually you would have simply been wiped out by the Russians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:52:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 10:51:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
Well I don't think you need to care about teachers not teaching that education is good since that would put them out of work. :P

So they will somehow teach kids how to deconstruct prejudices but only keeping them squarely focused on their parents?  Dude we have a hard enough time teaching them basic math.

I believe there was a period of time when I was a child that I would rigidly follow that teachers told me and call my parents out if they tried to tell me something that ran counter to what my teachers said. :Embarrass:

Every. One. Of. My. Children.  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 10:58:39 AM
Seriously though - I think the task of a good teacher is in part to teach critical thinking skills that can be applied to just about any situation going forward. Then it is up to the kid whether he or she finds flaws in parental or societal attitudes, or not.

Agreed.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...