Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 03, 2015, 04:08:22 PM
It's not semantics.  The standards and the curricula are not the same thing.  I could, if I so desired, write a Common Core compliant curriculum made up almost entirely of the "old" ways of doing things.

Facts are of no use in a discussion like this.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 03, 2015, 03:31:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 03, 2015, 09:26:35 AM
This is the point the author is trying to make: that Common Core is at fault for perpetuating "Why Our Children Don't Think There Are Moral Facts."  But no, everybody's giving the author shit about what he's trying to say, even though he spells it all out. 

Because his point is not well argued and ironically (given your criticism) it is not well argued in significant part because it relies on semantic gamesmanship instead of confronting the merits of what he is arguing against.

Put aside the semantics and the labels and what the Common Core apparently is doing, based on his description (NB no idea if that is what it actually does), is teach a simplified version of Popper's theory of knowledge - i.e. that true knowledge of "facts" is restricted to that which can be tested or falsified.  My own 2 cents is that while Popper's theory has its problems, it's not a bad starting point for teaching youth.  Other might disagree - and I would respect that disagreement IF that disagreement was presented as an argument on the merits.  But instead OP plays word games and shifts premises around.

CDM is wondering why you brought Blues Traveler into this.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on March 03, 2015, 05:11:18 PM

Why you wanna give him a run-around?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

The core rules for Traveler were excellent but then the standards dropped.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on March 03, 2015, 05:39:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 03, 2015, 05:11:18 PM

Why you wanna give him a run-around?

It's a sure fire way to speed things up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive