Why Our Children Don’t Think There Are Moral Facts

Started by jimmy olsen, March 03, 2015, 01:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I don't think it is school's job to teach children absolute moral values especially as really most of them are not absolute and are really an extension of parents' worldviews.

I think as a society we are better off instead if schools teach kids how to deconstruct the prejudices their parents try to instill in them.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 10:40:52 AM
I don't think it is school's job to teach children absolute moral values especially as really most of them are not absolute and are really an extension of parents' worldviews.

I think as a society we are better off instead if schools teach kids how to deconstruct the prejudices their parents try to instill in them.

Parental prejudice number one: that education is a good thing for kids.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Well I don't think you need to care about teachers not teaching that education is good since that would put them out of work. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
Well I don't think you need to care about teachers not teaching that education is good since that would put them out of work. :P

So they will somehow teach kids how to deconstruct prejudices but only keeping them squarely focused on their parents?  Dude we have a hard enough time teaching them basic math.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 10:51:06 AM

So they will somehow teach kids how to deconstruct prejudices but only keeping them squarely focused on their parents?  Dude we have a hard enough time teaching them basic math.

I believe there was a period of time when I was a child that I would rigidly follow that teachers told me and call my parents out if they tried to tell me something that ran counter to what my teachers said. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:52:20 AM
I believe there was a period of time when I was a child that I would rigidly follow that teachers told me and call my parents out if they tried to tell me something that ran counter to what my teachers said. :Embarrass:

Maybe Marty's plan has already been in effect for a long time :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

So they will somehow teach kids how to deconstruct prejudices but only keeping them squarely focused on their parents?

Why would they want to do that?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

The good folks at Stalin Memorial Academy were so proud.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2015, 10:53:48 AM
So they will somehow teach kids how to deconstruct prejudices but only keeping them squarely focused on their parents?

So that way Marty's plan wouldn't contain the flaw Malthus pointed out :P

grumbler

I think that lots of kids go through that phase.  It is part of growing up, and realizing that parents are not infallible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Seriously though - I think the task of a good teacher is in part to teach critical thinking skills that can be applied to just about any situation going forward. Then it is up to the kid whether he or she finds flaws in parental or societal attitudes, or not.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 10:55:12 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2015, 10:53:48 AM

So that way Marty's plan wouldn't contain the flaw Malthus pointed out :P
Well, Stalin wasn't exactly the model parent.  I don't think we have to create plans that work with him.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2015, 10:58:14 AM

I think that lots of kids go through that phase.  It is part of growing up, and realizing that parents are not infallible.

Yes, before generalizing that to all adults, first said infallibility gets relocated. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 10:58:39 AM
Seriously though - I think the task of a good teacher is in part to teach critical thinking skills that can be applied to just about any situation going forward. Then it is up to the kid whether he or she finds flaws in parental or societal attitudes, or not.

Fearless disrespect?

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 10:58:39 AM

Exactly.  As a teacher, one of the most gratifying moments is when a student argues that you are wrong, using the very attitudes and methods that you have taught them to use.

Bayraktar!