News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chick Sexer: The $60K a Year Job Nobody Wants

Started by jimmy olsen, March 04, 2015, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Where's the Brain when you need him?  :hmm:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/careers/chick-sexer-60k-year-job-nobody-wants-n317481
Chick Sexer: The $60K a Year Job Nobody Wants

From Netflix's "binge-watching" tagger, to Tetley tea's "tea-taster" and Ben and Jerry's ice cream "flavor developer"; there's some fascinating and attractive jobs out there.

However, the British public is turning its nose up at a job that pays up to £40,000 ($61,300) a year that involves spending all day with fluffy baby animals. In recent years, the U.K. poultry farming sector has seen a shortage in the role of a "chick sexer"; a job that requires individuals to identify the gender of a newborn chick.

Once seen as a popular job in places like Japan, fewer people are showing an interest, with the U.K. only having a current total of 100 to 150 "chick sexers." The lack of trained workers is resulting in a shortage in chick exports, which could result in the UK losing valuable business. So why is there a lack of interest? There are two common techniques used to determine the gender of a day-old chick: "vent sexing" and "feather sexing."

Vent sexing requires inspecting the inside of a chick's (rear end), to identify the gender. "Feather sexing" however, is less intrusive and distinguishes whether a chick is a hen or rooster by the shape and length of its wings. Vent sexing requires a minimum of three years' training, so workers can develop a minimum speed of checking 700 chicks every hour (average), with a 98 percent accuracy rate.

In a job advertisement published on Gov.uk, a U.K. government website, employees would be paid £3 ($4.60) for every 100 chicks, and with an examination total of up to 1.5 million chicks per year.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Where do I apply?  Does it require any certifications?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 07:16:29 PM
It requires a minimum of 3 years training to become a professional chick sexer.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 04, 2015, 07:17:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 07:16:29 PM

Eh by the time I finish my training all the Chick Sexer positions will be filled.  That is how it always goes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

They don't say that the job also involves sending all the male chicks to a gory death.

Monoriu

If it really is that important and not enough people are turning up, maybe they should raise the salary.

Ideologue

See, the great thing about the 21st century is that I don't even know for sure if you're joking.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on March 04, 2015, 09:14:05 PM

See, the great thing about the 21st century is that I don't even know for sure if you're joking.
How about you read the article and you'll find out!  :)

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Sorry, I missed that line. :lol:

Maybe they meant "three minutes."

Anyway, I feel like the speed/numbers they're asking for is unrealistic.  Maybe if a machine presents them to you in batches of twenty-five or something.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Anyway, I'd much rather have a job as a sorter of human beings, deciding whether they get to live in cages or just get turned into food.  Surely that pays $60k?
Kinemalogue

Grey Fox

700 chicks a day at 3£ each?

Fuck that shit, do I look like a mexican strawberry picker?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.