And we're back!

Main Menu

Chick Sexer: The $60K a Year Job Nobody Wants

Started by jimmy olsen, March 04, 2015, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

I don't understand.  Why are roosters not wanted?  Hens lay eggs and don't need roosters to do so.  Presumably that's the reason why hens are preferred.  But chicken meat is still valuable?  Is the meat from roosters so bad that they are not edible?

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on March 04, 2015, 09:18:07 PM
Sorry, I missed that line. :lol:

Maybe they meant "three minutes."

Anyway, I feel like the speed/numbers they're asking for is unrealistic.  Maybe if a machine presents them to you in batches of twenty-five or something.

They've shown this job on TV once (Dirty Jobs, maybe?), and the speed they were working at were indeed crazy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maximus

Quote from: Monoriu on March 04, 2015, 11:24:31 PM
I don't understand.  Why are roosters not wanted?  Hens lay eggs and don't need roosters to do so.  Presumably that's the reason why hens are preferred.  But chicken meat is still valuable?  Is the meat from roosters so bad that they are not edible?
Meat chickens and egg chickens are very different breeds. No one wants to spend the money to raise a rooster that is genetically optimized for laying eggs.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Maximus on March 05, 2015, 12:39:11 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 04, 2015, 11:24:31 PM
Meat chickens and egg chickens are very different breeds. No one wants to spend the money to raise a rooster that is genetically optimized for laying eggs.
They can sell the chicken feet to Korea and China
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus

You can do that with the hens when they're done laying.

Agelastus

Quote from: Ideologue on March 04, 2015, 09:18:07 PM
Sorry, I missed that line. :lol:

Maybe they meant "three minutes."

Anyway, I feel like the speed/numbers they're asking for is unrealistic.  Maybe if a machine presents them to you in batches of twenty-five or something.

World record speed is apparently something like 3 seconds a chick (according to an article about the decline of Japanese chicken sexers.) When this came up on QI it was said that the technique only requires one hand so most sexers will be testing two chicks at once; do the math.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2015, 12:37:35 AM

They've shown this job on TV once (Dirty Jobs, maybe?), and the speed they were working at were indeed crazy.

I miss that show  :(

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Quote from: Ideologue on March 04, 2015, 09:23:04 PM
Anyway, I'd much rather have a job as a sorter of human beings, deciding whether they get to live in cages or just get turned into food.  Surely that pays $60k?

:yes:

You should have been a New Dealer in the MacArthur shogunate. Alas, born in the wrong era.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.