Protection of religious views and behaviours

Started by Martinus, February 28, 2015, 03:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Not really. :P

It's about a hitherto oppressed group that finally stands up and is given a voice only to be poo-pooed for being obnoxious, in-your-face and breaking the decorum.

Same happened to blacks, women, working classes, gays etc.

Sheilbh

If the worst blacks, gays and women had to face was to be poo-pooed for being obnoxious the world would've been a far better place.

Alternatively they had to fight actual oppression rather than a distaste for Dawkins.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2015, 03:47:21 AM
If the worst blacks, gays and women had to face was to be poo-pooed for being obnoxious the world would've been a far better place.

Alternatively they had to fight actual oppression rather than a distaste for Dawkins.

Had to?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

This is especially funny considering Marty comes from a formerly communist country that is now in the EU. Those poor Polish atheists have had it so rough.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2015, 03:47:21 AM

There is a blogger now in Saudi Arabia getting the punishment of 1000 lashes for writing an atheist blog. Another just got hacked to pieces in Pakistan. Until recently in the West atheists faced prison charges under blasphemy laws.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2015, 04:01:48 AM
This is especially funny considering Marty comes from a formerly communist country that is now in the EU. Those poor Polish atheists have had it so rough.  :(

Poland has anti-blasphemy laws on the books and these laws are regularly invoked.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2015, 05:18:21 AM
There is a blogger now in Saudi Arabia getting the punishment of 1000 lashes for writing an atheist blog. Another just got hacked to pieces in Pakistan. Until recently in the West atheists faced prison charges under blasphemy laws.
Which is obviously monstrous but, it seems to me, little to do with the protection of religious views and behaviour in 'our society'. Saying I think religious and other sincerely held views (the best example I can think of is vegetarianism) should be reasonably accommodated seems quite a distance away from Saudi theocracy.

The answer I think is liberty of conscience and freedom from religion. However I'm totally opposed to the new atheist position that's emerging in the West which is freedom from religion because that's illiberal and intolerant. I don't see why an employer should be able to discriminate against a Muslim woman who wears a headscarf unless being able to see her hair is some essential part of the job.

The whole 'protection of religious views and behaviour' also makes me think of the UKIP agriculture spokesman speaking to the Jewish Chronicle about their proposed policy to ban ritual slaughter, 'this isn't aimed at you - it's aimed elsewhere - it's aimed at others. You've been caught in the crossfire; collateral damage. You know what I mean.'
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2015, 11:51:14 AM
I don't see why an employer should be able to discriminate against a Muslim woman who wears a headscarf unless being able to see her hair is some essential part of the job.

What does that question have to do with the issue at hand?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on March 01, 2015, 11:53:07 AM
I don't see why an employer should be able to discriminate against a Muslim woman who wears a headscarf unless being able to see her hair is some essential part of the job.

It's the example Marti used earlier about some pending SCOTUS case.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2015, 11:53:55 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 01, 2015, 11:53:07 AM

It's the example Marti used earlier about some pending SCOTUS case.

Sigh. The thread question is whether religious views should be more protected than other views. Not whether religious views should be protected or not.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on March 01, 2015, 01:22:05 AM
For my part, as a humanist universalist I recognize the potential for unlimited douchebaggery in all of humanity regardless of colour, creed, sexual preference, identity, or other such attributes.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2015, 01:36:01 AM
We should just start saying more loudly that religious people are simply stupid.

I think atheists and religious people should focus more on their shared belief that 99.99999% of all religious beliefs people have held at various times in human history are incredibly stupid, and just gloss over the 0.00001% of the religious beliefs whose stupidity they disagree about.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2015, 05:18:21 AM
Which is obviously monstrous but, it seems to me, little to do with the protection of religious views and behaviour in 'our society'. Saying I think religious and other sincerely held views (the best example I can think of is vegetarianism) should be reasonably accommodated seems quite a distance away from Saudi theocracy.

The answer I think is liberty of conscience and freedom from religion. However I'm totally opposed to the new atheist position that's emerging in the West which is freedom from religion because that's illiberal and intolerant. I don't see why an employer should be able to discriminate against a Muslim woman who wears a headscarf unless being able to see her hair is some essential part of the job.

The whole 'protection of religious views and behaviour' also makes me think of the UKIP agriculture spokesman speaking to the Jewish Chronicle about their proposed policy to ban ritual slaughter, 'this isn't aimed at you - it's aimed elsewhere - it's aimed at others. You've been caught in the crossfire; collateral damage. You know what I mean.'

If Poland and Saudi Arabia had U.S.-style freedom of religion, the problems he mentioned there wouldn't exist.  As I said before, freedom of religion includes the freedom to reject all forms of religious belief.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2015, 03:23:28 AM
This is such a bullshit and offensive thing to say, Sheilbh, no different than complaining about "uppity negroes".

Really?  Huh I don't recall too many uppity negros calling everybody who was not a negro stupid.  I mean I am sure there are some...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."