News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Protection of religious views and behaviours

Started by Martinus, February 28, 2015, 03:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 28, 2015, 02:42:46 PM
seems to me you can use this to enable human sacrifice, assuming the sacrifice has it as a sincerely held religious view.
Not really. I don't think anyone would consider that a reasonable accommodation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2015, 02:47:07 PM
seems to me you can use this to enable human sacrifice, assuming the sacrifice has it as a sincerely held religious view.
Not really. I don't think anyone would consider that a reasonable accommodation.
all involved are consenting adults and not being able to fulfill this religious obligation/ritual would result in unbearable psychological suffering for the faithfull.

mongers

Freedom from religion is something all children should be given the chance to sample at a few points in their childhood.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

No. Equality before the Law should be paramount.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 28, 2015, 03:25:29 PM
all involved are consenting adults and not being able to fulfill this religious obligation/ritual would result in unbearable psychological suffering for the faithfull.
So? I don't think any of that makes allowing a human sacrifice any more reasonable.

As I say I think what I've described is roughly the situation in the UK and it's not allowed for religious people to discriminate against gays in their work, for example a Christian registrar can't opt out of performing gay marriages, because that's not reasonable. I think that balance is about right.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 10:11:20 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2015, 04:31:08 AM
Yes. If I had to provide a limit I'd say that we should provide for reasonable accommodation of sincerely held religious views.

What about other sincerely held views? I just don't get why religious people should get this special treatment? Unless this is because we assume they are mentally retarded so we give them wider berth - but then we should also treat them like mentally handicapped in other things.

Funny how you use the same language as anti-gay marriage crowd.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Many US states are now adopting legislation allowing to deny service to gay people due to "sincerely held religious belief". Similarly, businesses in the US are now allowed to deny medical coverage to women on the same grounds. The slope is quite slippery...

The Brain

Giving beliefs greater protection just because they happen to be false doesn't strike me as being the way forward.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2015, 03:36:06 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 28, 2015, 03:25:29 PM
So? I don't think any of that makes allowing a human sacrifice any more reasonable.

given that it's already possible to have people (in certain cases minors even) refuse simple and lifesaving bloodtransfusions because of "deeply held religious beliefs" I don't see why it would be unreasonable to let other consenting adults die in the way they please because of such beliefs. It is their life and their choice.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2015, 10:23:34 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 03:34:33 AM
A simple question really - should a view or behaviour be given greater protection under law if it is rooted in religion - as opposed to other deeply seated beliefs.

Because it does, constantly, in our society, and to me any historical justification for it has long evaporated. With the exception of certain insular communities, people in the West no longer identify or segregate solely or mainly by their creed. And then, with a growing number of non-religious people, it leads to glaring unequality under law.

I mainly identify myself as a Christian. :)
and if/when your work conflict with your beliefs, you choose work or religion?

This is the real question, imho, in regard to the state.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2015, 05:44:09 PM
Giving beliefs greater protection just because they happen to be false doesn't strike me as being the way forward.

While part of me tends to agree, the better part of me forgives atheists for their false beliefs. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

If the cost of tolerance and inclusion is not being a moribund European state, then I am willing to shoulder that burden.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 05:42:07 PM

Many US states are now adopting legislation allowing to deny service to gay people due to "sincerely held religious belief". Similarly, businesses in the US are now allowed to deny medical coverage to women on the same grounds. The slope is quite slippery...

Which states?  If this is about the Michigan thing you have it backwards.

But if States are passing legislation that is because it has political support.  The slippery slope here being that stuff that has popular support will have laws passed?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 03:34:33 AM
And then, with a growing number of non-religious people, it leads to glaring unequality under law.

Nonsense.  Non religious people can use the same sorts of protections, and have indeed done so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2015, 06:22:55 PM

While part of me tends to agree, the better part of me forgives atheists for their false beliefs. :)

I don't forgive them of their raging douchebaggery.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive