Protection of religious views and behaviours

Started by Martinus, February 28, 2015, 03:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Like if we even come close to your ankles when it comes to that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2015, 09:25:41 PM
Can you decode his post for me?

He's been sniping at me for months.

I think he is saying I'm the grandest douchebag of them all.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Assuming douchebaggery correlates with height, and that the height of atheists and religious people (or possibly just Christians, since GF was responding to a Christian talking about being right) can be expressed collectively - GF is saying that atheists only barely reach to the ankles of religious people/ Christians.

The magnitude of atheist douchebaggery is insignificant compared to that of religious people/ Christians.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on March 01, 2015, 01:05:43 AM

Assuming douchebaggery correlates with height, and that the height of atheists and religious people (or possibly just Christians, since GF was responding to a Christian talking about being right) can be expressed collectively - GF is saying that atheists only barely reach to the ankles of religious people/ Christians.

The magnitude of atheist douchebaggery is insignificant compared to that of religious people/ Christians.

That's incorrect.  Even the worst Bible-thumping, snake-charming Southern Baptist isn't nearly as douchebaggy as your average snot-nosed, pretentiously I'm-too-clever-for-my-shirt, condescending atheist or European.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2015, 01:09:42 AM
That's incorrect.  Even the worst Bible-thumping, snake-charming Southern Baptist isn't nearly as douchebaggy as your average snot-nosed, pretentiously I'm-too-clever-for-my-shirt, condescending atheist or European.

That's something you'll have to take up with GF. I was merely translating.

For my part, as a humanist universalist I recognize the potential for unlimited douchebaggery in all of humanity regardless of colour, creed, sexual preference, identity, or other such attributes.

Eddie Teach

I'm leaning toward the MB-centric interpretation. GF doesn't typically go all Viking on us.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2015, 05:44:09 PM
Giving beliefs greater protection just because they happen to be false doesn't strike me as being the way forward.

I think atheists have just been too nice. We should just start saying more loudly that religious people are simply stupid.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 05:42:07 PMMany US states are now adopting legislation allowing to deny service to gay people due to "sincerely held religious belief". Similarly, businesses in the US are now allowed to deny medical coverage to women on the same grounds. The slope is quite slippery...
Well obviously I disagree with the first law.

The second I think is a little more complicated, but my solution to it would be to nationalise healthcare not worry about convents not wanting to pay for contraception :P

Quotegiven that it's already possible to have people (in certain cases minors even) refuse simple and lifesaving bloodtransfusions because of "deeply held religious beliefs" I don't see why it would be unreasonable to let other consenting adults die in the way they please because of such beliefs. It is their life and their choice.
It's legal for Jehovah's Witnesses to refuse a blood transfusion. In the UK it's generally considered a right of an adult of sound mind to refuse medical treatment even if it's necessary to save their life. But doctors (and the courts) will overrule the parents in the case of children who need a blood transfusion.

Again there is a balance that can be struck here.

QuoteThat's incorrect.  Even the worst Bible-thumping, snake-charming Southern Baptist isn't nearly as douchebaggy as your average snot-nosed, pretentiously I'm-too-clever-for-my-shirt, condescending atheist or European.
Agreed. The whole new atheists are the most obnoxious people around. All the attitude of the elect and none of the basic human charm <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

This is such a bullshit and offensive thing to say, Sheilbh, no different than complaining about "uppity negroes".

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2015, 01:36:01 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2015, 05:44:09 PM
Giving beliefs greater protection just because they happen to be false doesn't strike me as being the way forward.

I think atheists have just been too nice. We should just start saying more loudly that religious people are simply stupid.

Does that mean you would be stupid if you were religious?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2015, 03:23:28 AM
This is such a bullshit and offensive thing to say, Sheilbh, no different than complaining about "uppity negroes".
:lol:

Bit different.
Let's bomb Russia!