Main Menu

The President's First Insult

Started by Siege, February 26, 2015, 10:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2015, 05:29:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2015, 05:05:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2015, 04:49:28 PM
It has nothing to do with narratives, imo, CC. It is a descriptive term, originally used by 19th century historians (who identified three pillars of Western culture - Graeco-Roman, Judeo-Christian and Celto-Germanic). I don't dispute that it may be (mis)used for rthetorical reasons but its origin is not ideological.

I agree.  I don't think it is ideological either.  But I do think the description is tied to the Christian narrative.

If anything, I would say it is a post-Christian narrative, as it subjectivises Christianity as one of many influences.

Except in this context (ie the European context) it is the dominant narrative so being the best of the lot isn't really giving much up.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2015, 05:21:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2015, 05:03:25 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2015, 04:47:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2015, 04:42:54 PM
It has nothing to do with creating a joint narrative with the Jews as so many of our American friends are so eager to believe.  It has everything to do with the Christian narrative.

The first Christians were Jews.

Yes but try telling that to the Christians just a few hundred years later....

Doesn't change the fact that your interpretation of "Judeo-Christian as Christian narrative justification" is bullshit.

It isnt a justification. That is my point.  By the time "Judeo-Christian" was coined the "Old Testament" was firmly entrenched within the Christian narrative and had been for centuries. 

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
It has nothing to do with creating a joint narrative with the Jews as so many of our American friends are so eager to believe.  It has everything to do with the Christian narrative.

Doesn't change the fact that your interpretation of "Judeo-Christian as Christian narrative justification" is bullshit.

It isnt a justification. That is my point.  By the time "Judeo-Christian" was coined the "Old Testament" was firmly entrenched within the Christian narrative and had been for centuries. 

Where did Seedy say anything about justification?

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on February 26, 2015, 06:45:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2015, 05:59:13 PM

Where did Seedy say anything about justification?

When he used the word ;)

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2015, 04:56:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 04:50:10 PM
I was not eager to believe that.  That was what I had read.  Again why would the Christian narrative need to include Jews? 

So as not to be accused of being exclusively Christian.  I suspect that many folks use "Judeo-Christian" as a fig leaf. 

That sounds like very recent sort of concern.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2015, 05:14:25 PM
Judeo-Christian is a term used in the US primarily during and after WWII to demonstrate the acceptance and integration of the Jewish people in the US and to distance the US from certain anti-mulitculturalists in Europe at the time.   I didn't read the whole article.  I got to the point where they said there was no evidence of Muslims in the US until the 20th century which is simply a lie.  There are believed to have been Muslims serving the US Civil War, http://books.google.com.pk/books?id=owZCMZpYamMC&pg=PA561&dq=Moses+Osman+america&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LRvwU78xiLfRBc-YgJgK&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=292&f=false and there are records of Muslim in the US before that.

Yes I did not really want to go there.  But yeah though they were not here in any great numbers of course.  I remember searching through the 1850 Census and finding some guy with an Arab name in upstate New York of all places.

But generally we are talking individuals, not communities.  So it seemed true enough that there was no Muslim presence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 03:25:30 PM
Reading more it looks like the reason the term is getting a bad reputation now is because social conservatives use it as a descriptor of their values.
Yep. It's very UKIP here. The ex Archbishop of Canterbury recently made this point. He was being told off by a conservative Christian about how many ideas of the social Gospel aren't in the Bible and he replied 'I can't find phrase Judaeo-Christian values anywhere in the Bible' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 07:53:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2015, 05:14:25 PM
Judeo-Christian is a term used in the US primarily during and after WWII to demonstrate the acceptance and integration of the Jewish people in the US and to distance the US from certain anti-mulitculturalists in Europe at the time.   I didn't read the whole article.  I got to the point where they said there was no evidence of Muslims in the US until the 20th century which is simply a lie.  There are believed to have been Muslims serving the US Civil War, http://books.google.com.pk/books?id=owZCMZpYamMC&pg=PA561&dq=Moses+Osman+america&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LRvwU78xiLfRBc-YgJgK&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=292&f=false and there are records of Muslim in the US before that.

Yes I did not really want to go there.  But yeah though they were not here in any great numbers of course.  I remember searching through the 1850 Census and finding some guy with an Arab name in upstate New York of all places.

But generally we are talking individuals, not communities.  So it seemed true enough that there was no Muslim presence.

So there were no Muslim in the US except for the ones that are documented to have been here.  Fact is the article in the OP tells a lie.  Of course there was were also Muslims in the US who were slaves...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 07:52:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2015, 04:56:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 04:50:10 PM
I was not eager to believe that.  That was what I had read.  Again why would the Christian narrative need to include Jews? 

So as not to be accused of being exclusively Christian.  I suspect that many folks use "Judeo-Christian" as a fig leaf. 

That sounds like very recent sort of concern.

When it comes to meaning, recent concerns tend to be the most important ones.

Martinus

Were slaves actually Muslim as Raz claims or is this just another Raz-ism? I would assume those slaves who still kept a secret faith despite being force-converted into Christianity followed some form of animist/voodoo-like beliefs, not islam.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 05:51:23 PM
Were slaves actually Muslim as Raz claims or is this just another Raz-ism? I would assume those slaves who still kept a secret faith despite being force-converted into Christianity followed some form of animist/voodoo-like beliefs, not islam.
I'm sure that some were Muslim.  The Slave Coast was just south of the first Muslim area of sub-Saharan Africa.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Did they actually stay Muslim after coming to America, though? Animistic/shamanistic beliefs are pretty syncretic and capable of being observed side by side with Christianity (in fact, I assume it was the Christian slave owners who had a problem with African slaves observing African rituals - but slaves probably did not mind adding Christian rituals to their observance). Pretty sure the situation with Islam is different.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2015, 06:01:09 PM
Did they actually stay Muslim after coming to America, though? Animistic/shamanistic beliefs are pretty syncretic and capable of being observed side by side with Christianity (in fact, I assume it was the Christian slave owners who had a problem with African slaves observing African rituals - but slaves probably did not mind adding Christian rituals to their observance). Pretty sure the situation with Islam is different.

Probably for a while, likely through a few generations, but in the long run no, it was stamped out.  However, there are Muslims recorded in North America prior to formation of the US and a few after.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/the-search-for-yarrow-mamout/2012/12/26/aba8ae7e-3d7b-11e2-bca3-aadc9b7e29c5_story.html  This guy is believed to have been a Muslim slave who was freed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2015, 03:44:14 PM
So there were no Muslim in the US except for the ones that are documented to have been here.  Fact is the article in the OP tells a lie.  Of course there was were also Muslims in the US who were slaves...

Well yes if we take to a rigid extreme then sure.  Obviously there are few absolutes in history.  Is it a lie or simply an error based on the fact we are talking about very low numbers?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2015, 08:46:57 PM
Probably for a while, likely through a few generations, but in the long run no, it was stamped out.

While probably true you are guessing.  If there were large amounts of Muslims who were difficult to convert surely there would be some documentation about this?

QuoteHowever, there are Muslims recorded in North America prior to formation of the US and a few after.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/the-search-for-yarrow-mamout/2012/12/26/aba8ae7e-3d7b-11e2-bca3-aadc9b7e29c5_story.html  This guy is believed to have been a Muslim slave who was freed.

Indeed there were.  But out of hundreds of thousands of documented freed slaves there is only one?