Started by Syt, June 17, 2009, 01:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on June 17, 2009, 04:27:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 17, 2009, 04:18:37 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 17, 2009, 04:16:41 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 17, 2009, 04:13:58 PM
I donated my old computers to a church.

I suggested buying a new one, not robbing your church.

I'm actually thinking of buying a mini-Mac.
Great.  You, BB and Martinus can team up to fag the forum up.

:D

I'll start wearing white trousers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Wasn't the Sherman called the Flaming Coffin by its crews?
PDH!

frunk

At least it kept them warm.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 17, 2009, 04:50:23 PM
Ronson.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Viking

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 17, 2009, 04:50:23 PM

The Germans called it "Tommy Cooker" and in British parlance it got called "Ronson", because it lights up first time, every time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

Sorry, any list without the FT-17 is nonsense.  I hereby declare war on the military channel.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

When they say "ultimate tank" do they mean the last one made?  If they mean the best in their time I'd suggest the FT-17, Vickers 6-ton, and the T-55.  Each was pretty good at the time and was used long after it's prime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2009, 08:07:57 PM
When they say "ultimate tank" do they mean the last one made?  If they mean the best in their time I'd suggest the FT-17, Vickers 6-ton, and the T-55.  Each was pretty good at the time and was used long after it's prime.
Criteria are longevity, "fear factor", innovation, and....fuck, what't the last one?

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2009, 07:12:35 PM
Sorry, any list without the FT-17 is nonsense.  I hereby declare war on the military channel.

Secound that... :thumbsup:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2009, 03:39:03 PMB/c if your biggest strategic problems inlcude: shortages of oil, shortages of transport, shortages of steel,  and shortages of spare parts - basing your operational strategy on a machine that guzzles gas, is relatively mechanically unreliable, and requires a lot of servicing and maintenance is perhaps not the best idea.
It's not like there was a viable alternative to combined arms warfare. They needed tanks, no matter how expensive or unreliable they were.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza2 on June 18, 2009, 12:20:31 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2009, 03:39:03 PMB/c if your biggest strategic problems inlcude: shortages of oil, shortages of transport, shortages of steel,  and shortages of spare parts - basing your operational strategy on a machine that guzzles gas, is relatively mechanically unreliable, and requires a lot of servicing and maintenance is perhaps not the best idea.
It's not like there was a viable alternative to combined arms warfare. They needed tanks, no matter how expensive or unreliable they were.

An argument could be made for mass produce simple, easily maintained tanks (T-34, Sherman) vs. marvels of engineering that were expensive and difficult to keep running without highly specialized personnel (though engineering more intricate parts saved weight/raw material). Still I doubt that Germany could have outproduced the Allies unless they had gone that route already in 1935.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

I'm amazed that no  one sneaked a mmo reference into this topic yet.

PDH

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 18, 2009, 01:11:11 AM
I'm amazed that no  one sneaked a mmo reference into this topic yet.
:rolleyes: Thanks for ruining the thread.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2009, 08:10:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2009, 08:07:57 PM
Criteria are longevity, "fear factor", innovation, and....fuck, what't the last one?

Fear factor?  That's idiotic.  What a about thinngs like usefulness, or fitting well with doctrine?  The french built some very inovative and scary tanks during the interwar period but weren't to useful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017